Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some type of escapee

Posted by jekeesl Central AR 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 16:47

These plants were in a heavily shaded area in the first cut of woods, about 30 yards off a highway. They were in a dense patch about 4 feet across, and were not likely planted at that location. The leaves were 12-14 inches tall, about 0.3 inch wide, single-veined, smooth, had rounded tips and were heavily keeled underneath. The bulbs averaged a bit more than 1 inch across. The two photos were taken this afternoon.

photo 027-1.jpg

photo 024-1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some type of escapee

Lycoris, likely. Is the middle of the leaf pale, like a whitish stripe? If so, L. radiata I'd say.

o

I've seen narcissus in the borders of woodland areas and it may be a possibility as well.

FataMorgana

o

Thanks purple. There is a light stripe down the middle of the leaf, but it is pretty indistinct. FataMorgana's suggestion is also worth consideration. We have both genera in this area, but I've never seen either with leaves this time of year. I'll just plant a few and see what comes up this season. Should I go ahead and put them in my flower bed, or wait for warmer weather? Also curious if those leaves should be cut back.

o

I would do it sooner than later, though the weather this week looks really cold, if yours will be similar to what they're saying we'll get here. If you wait too long, the foliage will be gone, you won't know where they are. I've been re-positioning tons of these in the abandoned yard next door, because they're quite visible now amid dormant grass, at least 1,000 so far. Probably how you noticed those? I would not cut the leaves of bulbs. I think they need them, and I'd lose my place planting them if the foliage wasn't sticking up.

o

Thanks for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here