Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone tell me what this plant is?

Posted by taycwilson MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 16:54

I received a cutting of an indoor plant and I have no idea what it is. The leaves are really small, a bit fleshy and have little spikes at the tips. They also ooze white milk if they break off. My friend said that the vines of the plant can get pretty as hers get to be about 2-3 feet. It kind of reminds me of a succulent but I am not too sure it is one.

I don't have much more to go off of than the photo. I hope someone can help!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone tell me what this plant is?

when you get the ID.. perhaps the person can also remark whether such a long cutting is necessary ...

thats a lot of leaves.. for a root-less vine to hold onto while trying to root... and you cant stick it in a baggie for humidity ...

in that case.. cut it into 4 inch pieces.. and root a bunch.. at least one.. has to take ... lol .. and that is called increasing your odds of success .. lol

ken

o

It may be Ceropegia radicans.

o

Hoya lacunosa?

o

If you do decide to root several plants, I'd love to trade for some! (Whatever it is... looks like a chain of hearts... charming)

o

I don't think it's a Hoya, although it does bear some familial resemblance (krohniana, curtisii...)

My money's on some kind of Dischidia... like ruscifolia! I don't own a ruscifolia, so I can't say for sure, but it certainly resembles my Dischidias more than my Hoyas, and the blooms will be a dead giveaway when the time comes.

Also, a long cutting like that is just fine, but not necessary. However, if you want to give it the best of all worlds, a very strong strategy is to kind of lay it flat along the soil line, in a loop, so that more nodes are exposed to the medium and can send down roots. Then, once it is well rooted it will send out vines to dangle. They also grow great mounted, but that might be more bother than you're ready for. :P

This post was edited by greedyghost on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 14:19

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here