Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wgreenlee1

IS this a mulberry and if yes what kind

wgreenlee1
10 years ago

Took this picture today and this tree has big heart shaped leaves in the spring/summer/fall turning yellow and I thought it was a red mulberry but i keep seeing conflicting bark and leaf pictures.I think basswood has smaller leaves,I cut a dead one which is similar and it had brownish red wood.Please help and thank you for being helpful!

Comments (19)

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

A pic of branches/ twigs showing buds would be very helpfull for an ID

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the un-named mulberry i have.. red and juicy and somewhat invasive due to birds ...

have brilliant yellow roots ... and yellow wood on splitting ...

heart shaped leaves might also lead toward rebud.. but i dont think they get this big ...

but it sure looks like a huge maple to my untrained bark ID'ing eye ...

if you are still able to ... get a pic of some dried leaves around the trunk ... better than nothing.. this time of year.. might be easier than monkeying up the tree for twig pix ... lol..

ken

ps: its too big to transplant.. lol ...

• wgreenlee1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks to you both for responding.I found this picture on my computer this morning.The leaves are like Redbud but think of the Redbud leaves being almost a foot wide and long.Massive leaves that would be good for Johnny paper if you know what I'm saying.Soft and glossy on the top,kinda fuzzy underneath.lol
    This picture is of a different tree but same species.I will get bud pics next time I am there.Thanks again to everyone.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

cottonwood or poplar of some kind ...

if the botanists here cant get to it..

you might try the tree forum ... there are foresters there.. who i have never seen in this forum ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: the pic of black poplar is heart shaped ....

• wgreenlee1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tree forum?Ok,I will take a link over there.Thanks.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Black Poplar leaves aren't fuzzy.

I don't know American Tilias but that's what this looks like to me. The leaves and the shape of the trees in the background of pic 2 look right. Maybe T americana? Basswood?(Which I have never seen)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Based on the leaves I would look up that alley (Tilia). The spectacular bark should be a diagnostic feature.

• wgreenlee1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah,
    I love these.
    There are a few around my little farm and they always seem happy in any weather.
    In the spring the leaves get really deep healthy green and in
    fall they get really bright yellow and stay yellow for weeks on the ground.
    The hottest,driest summers you can find them still green from spring and never look stressed.
    In the winter they seem to prepare early and bud out fast.
    The bark looks really tough and scaly almost in the vein of Shagbark Hickories.
    I am still hunting for a real positive answer on what these really are....
    Thanks to all,you've been really helpful...

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

You're definitely seeing the same unlobed etc. leaves on the tree with the shaggy bark?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I was wondering that - since the leaves are not from the same individual as the shaggy one.

• wgreenlee1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those pictures are of the same type of tree from different times of the year.The bark I just took the other day.Those leaves are from the fall before last but of the same kinda tree.Next time I go up there I will get some bud ,limb,twig pictures.This tree is awesome I just wish I knew what kinda tree it is.They seem to grow upland and understory.They don't get as tall as the neighboring hickories and oaks and when young(3-6 inches thick) at base have dogwood like branches that hang down around it.The bark picture is one of the largest I've seen and is tall but not hickory,oak tall and that picture shows the base of the tree maybe 16-18 inches inches thick,across.The smaller ones look like redbud,dogwood types of understory tree.I haven't seen these anywhere else on my farm but the upland old forest places.they don't grow down by the creek.I'll get more pics.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

its actually an old birch - leaves exact, and check the link for the bark

Here is a link that might be useful: birch

• viburnumvalley
    10 years ago

That's probably Red Mulberry (Morus rubra) given the very limited information provided.

wgreenlee1 could assist by saying WHERE these plants are growing.

I am pretty sure that there are no Tilia sp. with this kind of bark characteristics. It doesn't fit any of the birches either. Not even close on poplar or cottonwood (Populus sp.).

Those leaves look large enough, within the range of morphology, and appear coarse enough (along with the written description) to fit right in with Red Mulberry. Lobed leaves are just one expression of Mulberry species leaves, but not the only expression.

Your location is significant in answering your question, and additional images of the dormant features like buds, stems, and - be still my heart - the WHOLE tree, make a huge difference in offering lucid opinions to the identity of this tree.

Here's an old Red Mulberry trunk for comparison.

• viburnumvalley
    10 years ago

Here's are 200+ year old Tilia americana.

Basswood develop a ridged and furrowed bark character, NOT a exfoliating or flaking character.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Leaves weren't really exactly right either.

• wgreenlee1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These trees are in south eastern St.Clair county Missouri...

• wgreenlee1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I uploaded a video of the tree and a picture of it's little seed pod/flower thingy
    Check it out everyone and see if you diagnose this trees name!

Here is a link that might be useful: movie of possible mulberry

• lycopus
    9 years ago

Consistent with the flowers of Morus rubra.

• wgreenlee1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, Morus rubra