Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant?

Posted by jimwrites (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 23:03

Within the same nursery where we bought this (and a few others like it), two different people identified it differently. I'd really like to know what it is.

We bought one a few nights ago and the woman said it was a Cast Iron plant. My wife loved it and we went back today and picked up a few more. Today the manager said it was a Snake Plant, or Mother in Law plant.

Is it either of these? Leaves are about 8-9" tall right now and the plant in question is the one up front in this image.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant?

Can't see your image?

o

No pic but Aspidistra elatior is known as the Cast Iron plant ???

o

jimwrites

A pic would be a good idea.
As tedhort says, A. elatior is known as Cast Iron plant.
A. trifasciata and its various cultivars are called either Snake Plant or Mother-in-Laws Tongue.
I have also seen a Dieffenbachia spp tagged as Mother in Law plant.

Post a pic and all the genii (which does NOT include me) on this site will give you a positive ID.

Fof

o

Jim, I suspect you browsed your pic, clicked preview, then edited your words. When editing, it's necessary to browse the pic again or it gets lost.

It sounds like Sansevieria to me. If one of these suggestions matches your plant, it would be great if you'd let us know. If not, please try adding your pic again. Just make sure it's visible when you click submit.

o

In lieu of a picture, you could look up Sansevieria trifaciata (snake plant, mother in law's tongue) and Aspidistra elatior (cast iron plant) in Google or other search engine.

The pictures you find will answer your own question. Let us know.

o

Sansevieria has thick fleshy succulent leaves and Aspidistra has wide dark green leaves that are about 18" or more tall. They both are vertical growers but Aspidistra's leaves form a stem just above the ground and Sansevieria's do not.

o

Yes, purpleinopp, I did edit the words and didn't re-browse the pic. Sorry everyone.

I hope it posts this time.

o

Sansevieria trifasciata cultivar such as 'Moonshine'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here