Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sddawgg001

Please ID this plant...I want to save this plant!

sddawgg001
11 years ago

Hello,
please help me id this plant.

http://imgur.com/a/bcjUK

Thank you so much.

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Hoya carnosa.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

it looks like you have a pot with drainage.. inside a glass vase.. with no drainage ... with water stains on the vase to the top of the pot ...

improper watering is your problem.. most likely .. most vines.. like a rather high draining media ... i mean really ... vines climb trees and root into the bark at height.. i wouldnt think of that as boggy root conditions.. lol ... [i am generalizing.. i dont know about this one in particular]

ken

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

ken - I don't actually see a problem with this Hoya. It looks perfectly healthy to me.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

It's Hoya carnosa Tricolor, commonly referred to by its expired Trademark name 'Krimson Queen.'

I can't really tell what's going on with the setup either. I think the glass vase is just to keep the top heavy plant from tipping over.

The main vine looks good, but I'm assuming you're worried because of those shriveled leaves in the back?

Ideally, Hoya carnosa should be planted in a chunky well draining medium (think equal portions of peat, perlite, and bark), allowed to dry out pretty well between waterings, and given strong indirect light.

(If you give it good light, it will start blooming this time of year and continue for most of the spring and summer, smelling of chocolate and perfume.)

Probably you just overwatered it a bit at some point, as it's a lot easier to overwater than underwater this particular Hoya. If the whole vine continues to shrivel, then you'll need to cut it off at a point where the vine is still healthy and stick it back in the soil to re-root. Make sure one of the nodes (bumps where the leaves emerge) is touching the medium.

There is a Hoya forum, if you have more questions.

(btw this forum is a blast! I just discovered it!)

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Hoya forum

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi Sdda, welcome to Gardenweb!

Is water staying in that cup? I think that was Ken's concern, which I share.

Coming up from the tip to the bottom right, the first leaf to the left by itself looks like it has mostly dead patches of yellow but I'm not familiar with this particular plant. Maybe the leaves should look like that.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

my default.. for all vines.. houseplants.. is that they grow up rainforest trees ... [i didnt say it was right.. lol.. this is how i 'think about it' for 'culture' purposes .. 'culture' being how you grow a plant ...] ...

they have roots in the ground.. that stay very humid.. but with the vast canopy .. may never get a much rain ... [except for a brief rainy season]

they climb up the tree.. capturing ambient moisture with large leaves.. and putting roots into the bark.. again.. little water for those roots.. etc...

so when we think of a potted .. tropical.. or semi- tropical houseplant .... we would want media .. and watering ... consistent with such thoughts...

and that.. for me.. would translate to a drink .. and then full drainage ...

a second reason such work well as houseplants.. is because of how little actual sunshine gets down thru the canopy ... which is similar to house-level light ...

as i said.. this is NOT science.. this is how i 'think about it' .. when i analyze.. what i might have to do with a houseplant..

now.. with the WWW .. you can do a few minutes of research as to its native habitat ... and you should be able to intuit what direction you should go ... [can you believe in the good old days.. i had to actually buy a book to learn this stuff]

and a glass vase that holds water.. will not be the answer anywhere.. that is all i wanted to point out.. i did not address whether it looked good or bad.. or anything else ... just those stains on the glass ...

until OP comes back and explains such .. there is no further concern ...

and its winter.. no plant holds its old leaves forever.. and the extra low lighting of winter .. in the house .. makes some of the older weaker leaves fall off .. its natures way [and a forced air furnace sucking all the humidity out of the house doesnt help either] ...

good luck

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Golly gee, Ken, that's quite a diatribe in response (I think) to a sentence that starts out, "I think..." It was your mention of "water stains on the vase to the top of the pot" that caused me to notice it. That could be from a long-gone bouquet, who knows?

I'm fine with being concerned alone if that's the case. If I wanted to kill a plant, putting a pot in cup or bucket of water would make my list of "best" ways to try. I only bothered to say anything because I think it's an emergency of a problem if water is staying in that cup/vase. If I'm seeing things, great, would love to be wrong, and hope I am!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Here it is in its native environment (look for the little white balls, which are its clusters of flowers).

{{gwi:140368}}
    Source: mingiweng's Flickr

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH