Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
id this very unusual flower

Posted by Nyphrodel 9 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 3:21

Knowing my love for plants and flowers, my husband is always on the lookout for something new and unusual to bring home to me. In my opinion, this time he hit the jackpot! In one of his customer's back yards, he found these lovely flowers. They did not survive long at all once they were picked. It's been awhile now, so he can't remember which customer it was so I can't get any info on this plant. He doesn't remember what the plant itself looked like, so I don't have any additional information to give, except I live in Florida and that's where it was growing. Is anyone out there familiar with this incredible specimen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: id this very unusual flower

Here is a shot of the only two flowers I've ever seen

o

Passion flower (passiflora). Possibly Passiflora incense?

o

From Wikipedia:

Passiflora, known also as the passion flowers or passion vines, is a genus of about 500 species of flowering plants, the namesakes of the family Passifloraceae. They are mostly vines, with some being shrubs, and a few species being herbaceous.

Here is a link that might be useful: For your viewing pleasure :-)

o

not only is passionflower beautiful it is good herbal medicine! cultivated varieties come in a range of colors too.

o

Host plants for gulf fritillary butterfly caterpillars.

o

This one looks like the common passion vine we call Maypop. It grows wild along fence rows. The fruit can be eaten when it turns yellow.

o

If it is Maypop, that would make it Passiflora incarnata. Which is what it looks like to me.

o

The Passion Flower story is very interesting, here's a link to it, and the descriptions of the parts and their meaning.

Here is a link that might be useful: passion flower story

o

You can grow it from cuttings, and it puts out runners that grow in other parts of the yard, so maybe he could get cuttings from the customer, or dig up one that's come up from the runners. The Gulf fritillary butterfly eats the leaves, so that would be a bonus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gulf Flitillary Butterfly

o

I want to thank you all for the help. Of course it's a passion flower! I can't believe I missed that one - duh! You know, I just started getting back into plants after about a 25 year hiatus, so I'm a little rusty. Working, raising children and that thing called living life just took precedence. Thanks to this wonderful web site, I am able to enjoy my plants instead of struggling because of lack of knowledge. Thank you to all that share their knowledge and expertise with amateurs like me :-)

o

I have one very prolific grower,also can get fruit.

o

Also the host plant to the Zebra Longwing Butterfly

o

I also think it's Passiflora 'Incense'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here