Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please tell me what kind of bush it is

Posted by Moana1 Arizona (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 4:02

I bought a house recently in Arizona, Mesa and need to know what kind of plant it is, right under my bedroom window. Will appreciate if somebody will tell me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please tell me what kind of bush it is

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 12:48

Dodonaea viscosa, hopseed bush?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dodonaea viscosa, hopseed bush

o

rocks like that ... if they are in sun during the day .... can retain heat long into the night ... and cause problems ...

i would not leave them there ...

and its planted too close to the house... its not going to stay that size.. unless you find out.. if can be severely cut back every spring ...

ken

o

Thank you for your answers! I think Dodonaea viscosa look a little different from my plant. Leaves look different. I uploaded closer picture. Yes, I agree, bush too close to the house, we also had palm tree growing next to house wall, we had to remove it, I don't know why people plant without thinking. Thank you for the tip about stones!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 14:40

Not Dodonea. Does the foliage have any scent?

o

I don't know anything about what might be growing in Arizona but are you sure it's a shrub rather than a herbaceous perennial? The stems look more herbaceous than woody. Can you show the base of the plant? Is it woody?

o

Desert Broom?

Here is a link that might be useful: Baccharis ssp

o

I took picture - this is the base of the plant, looks like it was a big plant

o

I dont think, that this is Desert Broom, looks similar, but not the same. Leaves different shape

o

OK - well it's definitely not a herbaceous perennial! Clearly it can get very big and it will be a job getting it out from so near the house wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here