Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion like bulb?

Posted by skipduke Ireland (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:35

I planted these bulbs and I don't know their name. They've sprouted these onion like things ages ago but theyre not onions. What bulb are they?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion like bulb?

They look like onions. Are they supposed to be a flower? If so they may be a variety of Alium. Alium is a flower but it is in the onion family and looks like onion when it first comes up

o

Iris xiphium?

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris xiphium

o

chive or allium

will you know the name when someone suggests it???

does it smell of onion????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 18:36

o

Bulbicodium?

o

Reminds me of Allium canadense.

o

Not chives (Allium schoenoprasum).

Hard to see from the image but are the leaves flat or round? That will help the identification along with does a broken leaf have a garlic/onion smell?

FataMorgana

o

Looks like Duke has skipped out?

o

Leaves are round and sprouted straight after I planted them into tho ground about the end of October, and they're not onions bc I don't think I'd accidentally buy onions

o

They may be Ornamental Alliums which may be causing the confusion.
Onions are alliums, just not pretty in most cases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Alliums

o

Knowing more about how you obtained these mystery bulbs could provide a clue. How reliable was the source? And do you remember what you thought you were buying? Did you tear and sniff a leaf? Digging one up to take a pic of the bulb part could help. You can add another pic in a reply.

o

I actually planted some ornamental alliums behind where these plants are but they haven't sprouted. These bulbs were tiny, I covered them with like half an inch of soil. Before I knew it they were all sprouting. I bought them in Tesco which is pretty reliable. I guess I'll have to wait and see, fingers crossed they're not onions, but if so I guess it's a good problem. In the photo you can see how small they are in comparison to tulips

o

skipduke - those are your ornamental Alliums, just behind the Tulips. Take a piece of leaf, tear and sniff. Allium is a family of mostly bulbous plants. The onions we eat are only one member of it. If you bought a bag of ornamental Alliums, then you were buying members of the same family but ones sold for their flowers, not their food value. Van Meuwen works in conjunction with Tesco. Maybe you can spot your Alliums here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Alliums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here