Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxerlover86

Name that plant?!

boxerlover86
10 years ago

I got this plant as a gift and my dad didnt know the name of it. It is a sad looking plant so Id like to figure out what it needs. Please help :) Someone told me it may be a chinese evergreen but it has bamboo like stems.
Thanks!

Comments (7)

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Dieffenbachia I believe.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

With no variegation showing, I'd lean toward Aglaonema modestum. But comparing leaf vein patterns, I'm leaning back toward Dief. On the Ag modestum leaves I have here, the 'main veins' come from the middle of the leaf almost directly opposite, almost symmetry, the midrib of the leaf is more raised. In the pic, the main veins on this plant are arbitrary, the midrib less prominent. It's also less common to see Ag as such a tight, highly-populated clump.

Care is identical, though the sap of Dief is something you'd want to make sure nobody gets into mouth, nose, eyes. Algaonema sap has alkaloids that can cause contact dermatitis on skin for some unfortunately sensitive people. As someone unlucky to be sensitive to any kind of plant irritant, I would wash hands after pruning either, or contacting the sap in any way. Just touching the leaves and stems is not known to bother anybody in any way, only if the sap is released through breaking the surface.

This plant looks like it needs more light. Can burn easily, but need more light than really deep shade or being far away from a window inside. Trimming a few of the most puny stems w/o leaves at the top would make the whole thing look more 'normal.' I would cut them as close to the surface as possible. You can use the removed pieces to start new plants if that sounds like fun to you.

Does that pot have an attached drain saucer? Is there any kind of spider webbing on this plant?

• boxerlover86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a better picture. it is 2 ft from a north facing window and is about 7 ft from east facing windows. I was using scissors to trim the dead leaves off but learned not to do that.
    I am trying to propagate several of my plants now so this is exciting that I can just cut the stems down to the ground with no leaves.
    The pot does have an attached drain saucer. There is no sign of any type of infestation either.
    I appreciate all of your help on this. Im going to start researching propagation right now!

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Dieffenbachia still my best guess. Only unloaded (and groomed) thousands of them from trucked in loads from Florida to Texas in the 80's.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Salt, I was agreeing with you.

Boxer, if you have any more questions, the house plant forum would be a good place to ask. Attached drain saucers can be problematic because you can't see if water is sitting in there, and they make it impossible for excess water to get out of the pot after watering. It probably snaps off, so you could water at a sink so the excess water can drip away, then sit pot back on saucer.

Is that a jade plant in the pot with the Dief?

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 9:57

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Op seems to be unsure so I thought I'd mention my 'slight' experience with them.