Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
september_jenkins

What variety of Calathea is this? (And what am I doing wrong?!)

September_Jenkins
11 years ago

My best guess is Calathea roseo picta... Mine does have some pink on inner edges of the leaves. The undersides are deep purple.

Why are the edges browning and some small brown spots in the mid-leaf area?

She seems to suck up water pretty quickly so I water her frequently, moderately moist, every 2-4 days. My house temp stays roughly 64-68*F (65*F average). She receives indirect artificial light. I'm thinking I will try moving the grow light closer, good or bad idea? Any tips on how to save her?

This post was edited by September_Jenkins on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 13:49

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

grow lights should be 2 to 4 inches.. to replicate the effects of the sun ...

if that is its perm site.. and the lamp is feet above.. that is the root of your problem.. no pun intended..

the other issue MIGHT BE.. the potting media... looks awful peaty ... but i would expect her to enjoy such.. but i cant figure out why it is drying so fast ... is she near a heat register???? do you have a humidifier on your furnace???

and next to your name above.. can you go to your members page and change that NONE .. to city state and zone.. perhaps i am making presumptions.. not knowing where you are ...

welcome to GW!!!!!

ken

• SusanC
    11 years ago

I think it may be Calthea roseo-picta 'Eclipse'. I tend to some in a greenhouse, and they really thrive in indirect bright light, warmth and high humidity. They also like evenly moist soil.

• carol23_gw
    11 years ago

You can do a search on problems with Calatheas. There are postings about watering and the problems associated with chlorine and fluoride and what it does to the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf spots and brown edges on Calathea

• costaricafinca
    11 years ago

To me, it seems as if it is too cold for the plant! I have them growing in the garden, with only a little afternoon shade with temps in the high 80's+, year round. It does go dormant during the extended dry season but after a little rain, it reappears....

• alisonoz_gw
    11 years ago

Looks to me like too much water. Have you checked for any pests also, they are red-spider mite magnets.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Reluctant to add as my conditions are sooo much different but I grow all my calatheas marantas in standing water using leca as a media .located in a marsh garden
    in the yard. i find they will go dormant at around 50 degrees and are very water sensitive. I think temps are your main problem they will survive in VERY low light conditions as I've kept them in glass terrarium s without a light source. good luck gary

• September_Jenkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a grow light bulb in a floor lamp with an adjustable arm. It's over several plants and I'm never quit sure how long to leave it on or exactly where to point it. Right now I have it pointed at the white wall above and behind the plants figuring the light will will reflect and disseminate indirectly onto the plants. I leave it on only a few hours because they also get a very small amount of indirect, low light from and; window across the room and the fluorescent lights in the next room.

I do wonder if the temperature is part of my problem with her and also my ivies, perhaps.
    Water could also be associated, I have heard that tap water left sitting at room temp awhile before watering clears the chemicals. I store my water in closed milk cartons a good while before use. I dunno if that makes any difference or not.

~ken_adrian...
    You said, "grow lights should be 2 to 4 inches"... What did you mean by that? 2-4 inch bulbs? 2-4 inches over plant? That is not the permanent position.

I didn't post my zone because all my plants are indoor, but I live in VA.

Thanks everyone for the advice and welcomes. I will check out that site, Carol23.