Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shear_stupidity

Oh, Lowes... you so silly.

shear_stupidity
11 years ago

The tag on this plant said "Split Leaf Philodendron."

I think not. (Although one leaf is ripped... lol) But what IS it? And why is one leaf a different color, shinier, and not pointed?

Comments (22)

• RugbyHukr
    11 years ago

Philodendron erubescens

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

The shiny leaf is the newest. Watch it change as it ages.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

ya know.. one might be tempted to make a bad pun here.. but i dont know you well enough to risk it ... have a great day

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 9:54

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know Ken, you can be very brusque when you put your mind to it.

Is it somehow not OK with you that this stuff isn't obvious to everyone?

Did you, yourself, not start SOMEWHERE to learn what you know?

Apparently SOMEone has to tell you this: "You should be cautious how you say words to people." (My grand-daughter knew that at 4 years old)

P.S. It didn't escape my attention that you shortened my name to "stupid." Game on.

• ceth_k
    11 years ago

The best way to deal with troll is to IGNORE him/her, which is to say don't fight fire with fire. But for what may or may not happen, I'll just go get some popcorn and coke in the meantime.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Hey, my grandpa always used to say (well not really, but it sounds good), the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! So don't listen to Ken (whose bark is worse than his bite) and ask away...

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As far as the new leaf is concerned, it wasn't that I didn't know it was new. I wondered if some change in conditions was causing the new growth to look different. (Different light, water, fertilizer, etc.) I may not know much about this stuff, but I do know that those things can affect leaf color and shape. My Ixora taught me that. And my Citrus trees.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

listen shear.. i thought we got to know each other a bit when YOU EXPLAINED YOUR GW NAME TO ME [your hair cutting shop].. and we laughed about your glitter nails.. and your skull pot geegaw ...

and the other person is named ...missing the 'OBVIOUS'..

so i was continuing our chuckle from what.. 2 or 3 days ago ... making a play on words with the two names ...

i though it would be OK .. i was wrong.. forgive me ...

and i really dont understand the peeps who have never posted a reply in their lives.. who come into something like this.. to flame someone .. pshaw on you ...

i will try not to bother you anymore ... i dont need the aggravation ..

again.. forgive me.. it was, what ended up being a poorly worded lame attempt at humor ... sometimes it doenst work ...

i hope you have a good day ...

ken

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken, I didn't say not to bother me any more. I said to be careful how you say words to people. Your sense of humor is very dry and may not translate in written form. (I have the same issue sometimes) I see the joke now. I actually missed the "obvious" part. (Now THAT'S a joke!)
    Hope to still share some laughs.

~Bridget

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Shear, just to explain further......the new leaves of most Philodendron species are reddish and glossy as they unfurl. It won't take very long for that leaf to look like the others.

Ken doesn't have a mean bone in his body. His 'funny ' bone may need some work from time to time but he never means harm.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

(Reaching over for some of Ceth's popcorn... Thanks!) Wish I had a nickel for every cyber friendship with Ken that started about exactly like this...

Agree with Rhizo's diagnosis. This plant will likely burn easily but not show it immediately. As some Philos age, the leaves can morph into quite different shapes.

Does the tag ID the grower?

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like Ken, too, Rhizo and Purple. (But don't tell him that)

If only ~I~ had a nickel for every time my grand-daughter has said to me, "Grandma, you have to be careful how you say WORDS to people!"

So, while defending myself a bit, I was trying to be funny, too.

There was no tag, Purple. Except the hang-tag that identified it incorrectly. After reading about it, I think I'll make it be an inside plant.

11 years ago

"(But don't tell him that)" Of course not!

This is going to sound crazy, but this plant will cry if you don't let it outside for summer. Actually, they're very sensitive, emotional plants and may cry outside too.

11 years ago

But don't put it in the full blazing sun.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OFTLOG... maybe I should just return it.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

The growers who bring them to the stores do that. got a nice begonia that was mislabeled and put in a sunny place when it needed to be in the shade. One of the employees knew it was mislabeled and in the wrong spot, but he said he couldn't relabel it or put it in the right spot because the people who bring them to the store do that.

11 years ago

Never did get back on here last night to "bust" myself, surprised Rhizo didn't take me to task already for such teasing. Philos guttate which you may have already noticed by now. Plant should be happy in or out, as long as it doesn't get burned. Hoping when I'm able to visit a L's again that they have one of these beauties. Can't get enough crying Philos!

11 years ago

Shear, don't take the plant back! It's gorgeous...and easy to grow. Don't you love those red stems?

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I'll keep it. I do love it. I haven't seen it crying yet. Maybe it likes me?

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Ken, now that you've removed your original comment, I ~do~ seem a bit ranty. LOL!

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Needs a tropical environment and a bigger pot.

11 years ago

There goes everyone's dreams of moving to "tropical Florida." I'm always arriving late...! Missed the 60's, now this... muttering...

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?