Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass/Weed Identification

Posted by mwk208 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 14:29

I have seen this grass in many coastal areas of South Florida. The grass in the picture was found in West Palm Beach. It looks similar to bermuda grass but is much coarser. The blades are almost sharp at the ends and are very stiff. I have found it in full sun as well as nearly full shade. I have even seen it growing on the beach. It does not look like it was planted as grass but forms dense turf in some areas and even creeps up the bases of palm trunks with its stolons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass/Weed Identification

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 15:17

I think it may be Panicum repens, torpedo grass, an invasive non-native in Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panicum repens, torpedo grass

o

Might be Zoysia.

o

Thank you for your responses. I am familiar with both torpedo grass and zosyia. It is definitely not zoysia and I do not believe it is torpedo grass. There is quite a bit of torpedo grass here and it generally grows at the edges of fresh water. The leaves are larger, and it is not as thick as the grass in question. Here is another picture of the grass.

o

I wonder if Centipede grass is a possibility. One of the physical characteristics is that it can be prickly to walk on with bare feet.

o

take some to your COUNTY agricultural extension office.. for a full ID

or maybe the lawn forum... or the FL forum.. if there is one

ken

o

It could be a strain of Seashore Paspalum.

o

I think Nel might be right. I did not initially think it was seashore paspalum because it seemed much too coarse but I just found an article that states there are roadside varieties that are much coarser than those used for lawns and golf courses. It is extremely salt tolerant which explains why I found it on the beach. It is also more shade tolerant and darker green than bermuda grass which also describes the grass I found. I wonder why it is not used more often for lawns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here