Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this beautiful unknown?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 15:10

The flower resembles Lantana, but the leaves are a lot different!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

From a distance, it looks purple. Up close, each Florette is different. The older ones are deep blue, and they range from lavendar, pink to white all in one blossom.

The leaves are almost like rosemary, and it's found a home in a rosemary clump. The leaves are soft and feathery.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It is drought resistant because it gets very little water. It is located on a rocky bank by our road. There is another high on the hill appearing to grow right out of a crack in a boulder.

No close neighbor has this flower.

Looking forward to your ID!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this beautiful unknown?

Verbena

o

Thank you Carol! I looked Verbena up, and that's exactly it! Wish I knew which variety it is. There are so many varieties!!

I have it in two places in the yard, so I'm hoping it self seeds, but I'll get some seeds just in case!

Thanks!

Suzi

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 17:07

I think it is Glandularia pulchella, South American mock vervain, which has naturalized in Southern California. -It was formerly classified as a Verbena.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glandularia pulchella, South American mock vervain

o

susanc, I think you are correct. It is a beautiful flower, and since I'm in Southern California, it's probably the one!

I went on Ebay and found several verbena seeds but the leaves are really different. the South American mock vervain has a ferny like leaf.

I ordered a packet of those seeds from Diane's Flower Seeds, and am also ordering a variety of other colors of verbena from Ebay.

We do have the conditions it likes, and plenty of room for masses of color. The one in the crack in the boulder was there last year, so it must be a perennial, but this one I showed is in a different spot. It must have been planted by a seed.

So very pretty!

Thanks!

Suzi

o

It looks like the sort of sub-shrubby plant that would be easy from heel cuttings.

o

Oh boy! Now I need to figure out what heel cuttings are. Time to Google!!

I'll try! Would love to see this in many places on our 1.5 acres!

Suzi

o

These instructions are for Lavender but the principle's the same. Also works for Rosemary, Ceanothus, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heel cuttings

o

Thanks for the link floral_uk! Makes it look easy! I'll try it!

I'm very experienced with fig and mulberry cuttings, but this is a new adventure!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here