Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this really an out of place poison sumac?

Posted by bostedo 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 15:24

Closest match I've found for this plant is poison sumac, except that it's west of it's normal range (north Texas) and is thriving in a hot, dry strip rather than the moist spot they're supposed to prefer. It has nice fall color, so am hoping it is something else. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this really an out of place poison sumac?

ailanthus?

o

Perhaps just one of the true sumacs like smooth sumac (Rhus glabra)?

o

Looks like a pretty smooth margin. Smooth, Staghorn sumac etc., have toothed margins. Watch for white berries, that will pin it down as poison sumac.

o

whatever it is.. is was planted by a bird.. sitting on your gutter above..

its about 8 feet TOO CLOSE to your foundation ...

do NOT wait for berry color.. unless you move it ...

ken

o

Thanks for the replies.

Ailanthus was a close resemblance I hadn't considered; though am ruling out because references say it has little or no fall color.

Agree with rugbyhukr that the margins are too smooth for one of the Sumacs native to our region. Could this be a seedling thing where the serrated edges appear on later sets of leaves?

Yes, I'm asking about it because it does need to be moved. Question is whether to put in the trash or pot it to see what develops. Suppose I'm too wimpy to try a skin test.

This post was edited by bostedo on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 13:46

o

If you could get close enough to photograph the leaf buds forming for this year's growth, that might help. Might not, so be careful.

o

Here's a photo of the buds from Feb 14th; one month after the initial photo where it still had it's leaves. Sorry about the fuzzy spots, couldn't figure out how to coax better depth of field out of our old Nikon automatic at this distance.

o

Just my opinion, but that bark looks much more like Rhus than Toxicodendron vernix. Look at all those lenticels which are much more characteristic of Rhus, but I don't know that the leaf scars are right ...

This link has great bud pictures of both Rhus, Toxicodendron and others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter buds

o

Thanks for the great reference on winter buds! "Shield-shaped" leaf scar seems to be one key characteristic differentiating Toxicondendron from Rhus in the examples, so take this as another solid indication it's poison sumac. The lenticels on the plant in question are also very similar to those in the Toxicondendron vernix photo on page 10 of the linked article. Guess I'd better go find some disposable gloves to pick up those fallen leaves.

This post was edited by bostedo on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 0:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here