o
RE: what is this

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 16:25

I think so, too.

Al

o

Its bulbs were to small to be tulip and it only has 1 leaf :) i thought it was a tulip before i dug it up HELP

o

Our tulips start this way too... But we also have them mixed with daffodils... either or?

o

How large were the bulbs you thought too small to be tulips?

Definitely not daffodil foliage.

o

They were like if you bought the green onions in the bags (for leaves) and you went up an inch and threw away the top the part left would be the size about an inch and its a narrow bulb.

o

I say tulip, too, ones that have run out; so the bulb may be real tiny. If they have been in the ground too many years with no care they will look just like this eventually with no additional leaves and no flowers either, and the bulbs just get smaller and smaller. Not worth saving as cheap as well cared for commercial tulip bulbs are.

o

Tulip - they frequently produce single leaves when they are starting to deteriorate or have yet to bulk up, as OldDutch says.

o

A tulip that only makes a leaf like that is called a "veuve" (widow) in French, because it has lost its mate (the flower). It can be rehabbed. When the leaf fades, dig it up and hold it in a completely dry place, like a garage or something. (Critters will chomp on it if they can.) Then in late fall, plant it back into the bed at the proper depth. Sometimes the new bulbs formed grow deeper than they should and eventually do not bloom, that may be what is happening. What many people don't realize is that a Tulip bulb only blooms once, then dry up. The next blooms will come from the new bulbs that grow alongside the blooming specimen.

So your bulb just needs a good year with good conditions to restart the flowering cycle.

o

did you get this from Mi bulb.. ???

you have an immature tulip... no question about it ...

offhand.. tulips that bloom.. are a couple years old ...

yours is not ...

if properly cared for.. it will bloom in a year or two ... not this year ... its growing the bulb this year ...

ken

ps: dzit ... says they only bloom once.. they do NOT say.. they bloom the first year ...

Here is a link that might be useful: you got the ones on the right side of the pic

o

Well ok :) we have lived in this house for 3 years and this is the second year i noticed them i guess from being chopped down so many times they got smaller. Thanks :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here