o
pricky bush

Posted by Fitz937 none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 15:30

pic is bad, so is the prick! reaaly stemmy pricky bush

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pricky bush

get rid of it.. lol.. who cares what it is .... barberry???

ken

o

Another picture please, further back. And then one in focus up close. Don't worry about Ken - he's holed up in the snow and getting slightly tetchy, especially as we softies start talking about our daffodils. Totally harmless.

o

my dad planted barberry.. on the driveway.. next to my basketball hoop ... i hate them with the passion of a million burning suns ...

i have no clue why anyone would have a thorned spiked nondescript plant in their garden.. what??? for some purple leaves??? ... pshaw ...

now roses have thorns.. but the payoff is worth it ...

ken

o

Looks like some awful buckthorn that somebody tried to cut down but it grew back in the form of a million suckers.

o

ok flora.. of the UK ...

i just finished reading every single thing written by Lindsey Davis ...

and she is the only person in the world who uses a word i hate .. that being 'tetchy' .. every single falco book.. and others.. sometimes multiple times in a given book.. i think she does it just to bug me.. personally ... lol ...

are you Lindsey Davis ... ????

i would have emailed you thru your members page.. but you dont allow such .... [hint]

its a shot in the dark ...lol

ken

o

Looks like a barberry, good for birds, bad for people.
There are certainly better bird attractors, such as Serviceberry and Viburnum.
Even Yew...

o

Sorry, Ken - I am not Lyndsey Davis. 'Tetchy' is a word my parents used.

o

so your mom is lindsey davis ..... rotflmbo ....

its all tongue in cheek.. have a great day ...

ken

o

If it's Barberry- it looks pretty much dead. I've never seen one bare- no leaves at all, unless is was dead.

o

A very easy way to see if it is barberry - Berberis - cut a stem. The inside will be bright yellow.

Berberis thunbergii is deciduous and comes in many forms - often with variegated leaves. They have small yellow flowers in spring followed by bright red berries that are long yet also small.

Wear your best rose-pruning gloves and take out many of the stems that are more grey than red. The thorns are excruciating and Awful to get out of fingers. :-((

o

Berberis thunbergii is not the only decidious barberry species - there are actually quite a few, although the Japanese barberry and the evergreen forms are most widely known and grown.

The photo sure looks like the winter appearance of a redleafed Japanese barberry. These thorny shrubs always seem to have a bit of a reddish/purple glow to them, even in winter.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 0:31

There are more than 400 species, many of them deciduous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here