Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pretty purple flower

Posted by scully931 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 15:51

I thought this was freesia, but apparently not. I would appriciate any help in identifying it. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pretty purple flower

White --- Ranunculus
Blue-- Hyacinthoides hispanica?

o

Well, first of all, THANK YOU for also identifying the white flower. I had it wrong too! I buy Ranunculus in orange every year, but didn't even recognize it in white.

Hyacinthoides hispanica - the color seems right, but not really sure about the layout of the flowers. These seem to be a lot fuller on top. But I could be wrong!

Here are the Hyacinthoides hispanica if anyone would like to compare.

I would like to use the two flowers in the picture for my wedding bouquet and would like to have the name when I go see the florist. (On the chance she doesn't know either!)

Thank you for your help!

o

they do look related to hyacinth, try searching google images for purple hyacinth you might come close.
That's a pretty bouquet.

o

Could be grape hyacinth.

o

Hyacinthus multi-flowered

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyacinthus multi-flowered

o

I think it's Hyacinthoides, also. Here's a link to one with a form similar to yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: hyacinthoides

o

Thank you all! I will take this info with me when I go talk to the florist. I really like how loose it looks. :)

o

i thought the blue might be squill (scilla)
alpine possibly

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 23:43

It's a bluebell. Many in cultivation are hybrids between Spanish and English bluebells, rather than pure examples of either. They are told apart using specific anatomical features.

o

The top one is bluebell?

Look at Pyreneun Squill here- at the UK site showing Bluebell look alikes.

It looks like that flower.
Spring Squill looks more like her purple flower with the ranunculus than any of the Spanish or Hybrid Bluebells I could find on this Bluebell ID site.
Could you please link to a site showing the Bluebell you are referring to? I'd like to learn about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluebell look alikes

This post was edited by lola-lemon on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 1:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here