Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying tree/shrub!

Posted by Mountainmole California (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 15:52

Can someone help me identify this little shrub/tree? It's deciduous and gave a small show of white blossom a week or so ago. It has fairly large thorns. We're located in Northern California.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying tree/shrub!

A Prunus of some sort. I don't know what would be likely in your region. Is it wild or in a cultivated setting?

o

Pacific crab apple?

Here is a link that might be useful: Malus fusca

This post was edited by saltcedar on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 17:10

o

Don't feel that I'm seeing an apple, Salt.

o

Naturalized Sloe (Prunus spinosa) then?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackthorn

o

Thank you! Yes, it's in my yard but we are right up against wilderness. I will investigate the varieties of Prunus - seems most likely. I've a couple of other unidentified shrubs that I shall post. Thanks for your help!

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 22:29

I was thinking that it was Prunus spinosa too, but I checked the USDA plants site, and it is not found here.

o

White flowering quince?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 12:17

Probably Prunus cerasifera - a hallmark of this one is the sepals reflexing after the flower has been open for a time, something that cannot be seen one way or the other (reflexing or not reflexing) in your picture.

So far I have never seen sloe in North America. I have been in Britain during the time of year it was in bloom there. It does not look like plum trees - more like a sort of deciduous Pyracantha in general aspect.

Otherwise what is seen coming up around here (and where I have been in California) is orchard plum (P. domestica and other names). But by far the dominant one is P. cerasifera, as that is used as rootstock for the very frequently planted purple-leaved plums and is also able to come up from seed, on its own.

o

It isn't a sloe - I can be pretty sure of that. They are all over the place here and as bboy says they don't look much like plums. Plus they flower before they leaf out.

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 20:15

I think it may be Prunus subcordata, Klamath plum, Sierra plum. It is common in mountainous regions of California.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prunus subcordata, Klamath plum

This post was edited by susanc on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 20:17

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 18:25

Petals and leaves look different.

o

I'm picking Chaenomeles, 'Jet Trail'. That fits what would have been blooming a few weeks ago in Northern California and would have the thorns.

Elaine

o

It isn't a Chaenomeles imo. The flowers are very unalike and the leaves are also fairly dissimilar. It could be a seedling Prunus of some sort or a Prunus stockwhere the grafted cultivar has perished. Here it would probably be P cerasifera, as bboy suggests, but in CA I don't know the candidates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here