Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wandering jew tradescantia ID

Posted by Grantgarden2 5 (grantgarden2@gmail.com) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 16:11

Hello does anyone here know what kind of wandering Jew this might be?It has a dark green on the top and a light purple on the underside of the leaves. Thanks!
 photo image_zps6d0875fb.jpg
Grantgarden2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wandering jew tradescantia ID

Tradescantia zebrina 'Purpusii'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Stock Image of Tradescantia zebrina 'Purpusii'

This post was edited by saltcedar on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 17:09

o

Saltcedar, the plant next to the zebrina wandering jew.
Grantgarden2

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 9:28

Both of your plants are Tradescantia zebrina. The solid green/purple backed one is Tradescantia zebrina 'Purpusii', as saltcedar said.

o

Have these 2 plants been in the same light exposure for a while? Where did the mystery plant come from?

o

Purple, I got the cuttings about a week ago. Now the cuttings are going to be put under the light. I'll make note of the changes that happens.
Grantgarden2

o

You could consider T. fluminensis, perhaps.

o

Not disagreeing with Salt's suggestion at all, but never heard of that Trad until this post, or seen your plant before. It's very pretty, one for the ol' wish list for sure. Hopefully it will make some flowers, that should help if you are still undecided at that time (or even now.)

Where did you get the cuttings?

o

Purple, I got the cutting from a houseplant rescue place. There was a huge pot full of these. But didn't have enough room in the car so I couldn't buy it, but asked for cuttings.
Grantgarden2

o

Sorry for the delayed reply, mini vacay this past weekend.

Cool score from what sounds like a cool place! Trads can be quite schizo, I look forward to seeing what this one does, if you are inclined to put more pics of it in the future.

The logistics of the car have saved my house from some large, would-be impulse purchases too. Probably good I don't drive a van.

o

Wow! A huge difference! The plant seems to want to branch out from every node!
Grantgarden2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here