Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree. Not much growth.

Posted by lovemanyplants Ca (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 16:49

A tree sprouted but not sure what it is. Don't know how to care for it. On top of this it has a long thin stick/trunk. Any ideas guys?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree. Not much growth.

sideways was bad enough.. now you got one upside down???

ken

o

Mulberry?

o

Don't think it is mulberry as the leaf shape is totally different from one in a friends garden, thought there are several species.
It also looks like it may have a mineral, Iron(?), deficiency. Compost too alkaline or over fertilised?

o

Ficus carica cv I believe. They commonly volunteer in Cali.

o

What are you talking about upside down? This picture is correct. Look at the pot.

o

The leaves are slightly different than the ficus carica. Someone else thought Asian Mulberry. Black Mulberry leaves are very different than the white Mulberry ones. Looks a little like an Asian Mulberry. Popped up Ina pot so I didn't give it much care. Just kind of went unnoticed. Curious so I'll know what to do for it. Right now it's in potting soil(where it popped up), haven't fertilized it other than the soil, the weather has been suuupeeerrr cold though. We have had frost on our deck so that may also be a factor.

o

I think Ken thought it was upside down because the pot is at the top of the picture, upside down.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:43

Both the leaves and the branches look upside down. There is not enough shown to be sure what kind of tree it is. While I do not think is certain to be a mulberry I will point out that the leaf shapes of white mulberry are highly variable, resulting in recurring mystification - at some times multiple posts appear asking about white mulberries that have popped up on their own. Usually seedlings with much-divided, vaguely maple-like leaf shapes are what cause confusion.

o

See Ficus afganistanica, a progenitor of Edible fig.
It demonstrates the huge variation possible in edible figs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus afganistanica

o

A picture of a bud would settle the fig question.

nb the picture is upside down for me but goes right way up if clicked on.

o

Here is another one showing a little more of the plant. Not sure it helps though.

o

Here's one just of the leaf.

o

Here is a picture of just the leaf. Didn't go through before when I tried.

o

I would still say mulberry. And if it came up volunteer, that means it's from a fruiting mulberry. If it were me, I'd put that thing in the compost bin.

Elaine

o

Elaine,
Why would you put it in a compost bin? If it is a fruiting mulberry then that is a wonderful plant to have! Not quite sure why you would say that!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 20:57

White mulberry pops up frequently and weedily in some areas. And not everyone appreciates the bird poop and fruit juice staining associated with ripe crops of white mulberries. In fact, anything generating quantities of fruits, nuts or seeds may be seen as a nuisance by those not wanting to deal with them. In my area there are large numbers of orchard fruit trees, particularly apples, as well as a component of other types such as edible figs, that do not get harvested much; I have seen wharf rats coming to both kinds. (Fig trees may also attract crows and eastern gray squirrels). Due to the mess Seattle has long prohibited orchard fruits from being chosen for new street tree plantings.

o

Well, we are not in Seattle. We are in California. People here greatly appreciate the extra fruit and health that berries offer you. Up in Washington berries run rampant. Down here in California they do not. I understand the thoughts behind the statement. Just think its a little rude to say something like that when I'm simply asking for help identifying. I had a Mullberry and yes it does make a mess, but it is a joy to have around. I think that if people have rude comments then they should not post. There is no reason for the bickering to go on. Simple, just don't post on someone else's thread if you plan on being rude. Just saying.

o

Well, we are not in Seattle. We are in California. People here greatly appreciate the extra fruit and health that berries offer you. Up in Washington berries run rampant. Down here in California they do not.

lovemanyplants, there are most definitely parts of California where berries run rampant. I grew up in California and have been to some of those parts of the state. It might be a good idea to avoid blanket statements.

o

There's no reason to be rude! I asked for an identification, not someone picking a fight! Please don't post on my threads if you can't be cordial! Thanks and have a nice day!:)

This post was edited by lovemanyplants on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 22:42

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here