Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunpatiens ?

Posted by kitteh 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 17:32

The two plants popped up I think in warm Dec. - the leaves look alike and the darker one looks kid of like a 'sunpatiens' I bought last year and planted about 6' away - but that thing hated frost and these keep going through very cold days and the snow. What are they?

This post was edited by kitteh on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 17:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunpatiens ?

Might be Saponaria, New Guinea Impatiens are tropical and would have long ago
perished from the cold.

o

Dianthus barbatus?

o

Janine may be correct. I was thinking of a perennial, which Dianthus
is in Zone 6, unlike hereabouts where it's a Winter annual.

o

There was probably a little of those in the wildflower mix there, they just didn't come up last year so I didn't know them. Is there a way to know the colors of the flowers yet?

o

Dianthus barbatus is white, pink, red, or dark red. The one with more red in the leaves will likely have more red in the flowers.

o

I thought they looked like D barbatus (Sweet William) too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here