Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of bush is this?

Posted by LonelyGoatherd Virginia (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 19:06

Just wondering what kind of bush this is? We've only lived here a year so it was planted by the other owners.

It's a hardy bush and has stayed this color since fall! I just took this picture the other day.

I believe it was just green in the summer but embarrassingly enough I can't remember. I just remember truly noticing it this past fall.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of bush is this?

Dwarf Nandina

o

Nandina domestica.

Regards,

Ted

o

Man you all are fast! Thank you so much! I think I'll have to add a few more of these. I thought only evergreens stayed green all year. These little bushes have been so pretty all through winter.
Thank you again! :)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 20:40

By evergreens you doubtless mean evergreen conifers, there are also evergreen broad-leaved trees and shrubs.

Such as Nandina domestica. Some other familiar examples you will probably see in Virginia are Quercus virginiana and Magnolia grandiflora.

o

I guess I did mean conifers. I forgot that there are types of evergreens. So I take it that Nandina would be evergreen? It's a really pretty bush. I need to add some more to our yard. This time of year I crave green so much that any green, conifer or otherwise will do!

o

LonelyGoatherd - if you crave green in the winter there are hundreds of shrubs to choose from. You're not restricted to Nandina and conifers. Just check whether something is deciduous or not in your area when you next go plant shopping.

o

Check out Ilex, the Holly family. Lots of berries in Winter for the birds. Pretty foliage all year 'round...
Rhododendrons are evergreen and bloom spectacularly in the spring.

o

We've spent a lot of time this past year updating the inside of the house. It was a total fixer upper in and out.
This year I'm ready to tackle the outside. I can't wait. I much prefer gardening to inside remodeling.

bboy that is a good idea. I'm going to see what evergreens grow well here in Central VA when choosing my landscaping. We did plant a foster holly by the house last year that is gorgeous and we planted two Norwegian pines that are doing very well. But this year we'll really get to work. These little Nandina bushes will definitely be on my evergreen list.
Thanks again!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 13:57

That was flora, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here