Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
generator_00

climbing vine with tendrils and red berries

generator_00
15 years ago

Hello everyone, I just got some dormant cuttings from a neighbor and I am trying to get them to root. The stems seemed almost like cork. It is a unknown climbing vine with strong tendrils and red berries that the birds love to eat. It also has 2 types of leaves on it (in the summer anyway). I don't recall what the leaves really look like but remember it was a good looking vine and had climbed up her front porch and really looked nice. It has not been invasive in zone 4 and seems really healthy. She is not sure if it has spread through roots and there was still too much snow around it to tell yesterday. It was there when she moved in and that was quite a few years ago. Snailseed and honeysuckle both seem close but they don't have tendrils. Woodbine and virginia creeper have blue berries. This can't be that uncommon of a vine as it seems really nice. I cannot find the info I need to ID this plant, does anyone have an idea what it might be? thanks

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments (24)

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sarah, thanks for the suggestion but it appears that magnolia vine is a twining vine and I cannot find any reference to it having tendrils. I also don't think it had as much fruit, but that probably can vary. I wish I could recall more info about the leaves but I don't think they had any white coloring to them.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• saltcedar
    15 years ago

Bryonia dioica?

HTH
    Chris

Here is a link that might be useful:

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Chris, Thanks for trying but my vine doesn't die back to the ground in winter and it seems bryonia dioica is a zone 6 plant. I am hoping that I don't have a poisonous vine here. The problem is I have to wait till this summer to take pictures or this would be a lot easier. Thanks

• SusanC
    15 years ago

Could it be Solanum dulcamara, climbing nightshade, European bittersweet? Here are some good pics. Below are pics of the vining habit.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of vining habit

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi susanc, climbing nightshade doesn't appear to have tendrils, a lot of the characteristics fit but I found that nightshade climbs by entwining. When I look at my dormant vine cuttings they look just like virginia creeper and the climbing habit is also identical. The mother plant is about 15 feet long at its longest branch and latched onto a second story porch railing with tendrils. thanks

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

Can you post a picture at all? Even the dormant vines would help.If this vine is growing outdoors all year round in zone 4 there isn't really a huge choice of what it could be.

• hortster
    15 years ago

Check out Carolina Coralbeed, Cocculus carolinus. Tendrils, variable foliage, red fruit.

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi flora_uk, Here are some pictures of the cuttings I am trying to root.
    {{gwi:144427}}
    {{gwi:144428}}
    {{gwi:144429}}
    I rooted some virginia creeper last winter and this looks the same as does the climbing habit of the mother plant. I can attempt to take some pictures of the mother plant this weekend depending on the weather and work schedule.
    Hi hortster, From what I can tell Carolina Coralbeed is the same as snailseed and I have ruled that out because it doesn't have tendrils. Thanks

• hortster
    15 years ago

Asking gently - are you teasing us? This is an enigma. You have had several heavy horticulturists, especially Saltcedar, offering possibilities. I can't wait to find out what this is! Gonna' be watching...want pictures, up close of this vine when in leaf!

• hortster
    15 years ago

Secondary thought: if you have a red-berried Virginia creeper (agree, it looks almost exactly like it, at least in stem and tendril and leaf scar) I want to get in on the plant patent!

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi hortster, I assure you I am not teasing you, I wouldn't waste my time or yours. However now you are making me doubt myself. I saw this vine several times last summer and I remember thinking it cannot be virginia creeper because the leaves were different. Last weekend I talked to the lady and asked her if I could get some cuttings, she agreed and I went over and we cut the 3 stems you see in the pictures, we discussed the red berries, 2 different kinds of leaves,and I told her I am going to enjoy figuring out what kind of plant this is. She said she has tried and never been able to figure it out. I really hope I am not mistaken on any of these descriptions I have given, but I also agree that I am quickly running out of possibilities. Anyway I will post pictures of the vine in leaf and right or wrong we'll figure it out. Thanks

• carol23_gw
    15 years ago

Is it possible the vine doesn't have red fruit?
    Ampelopsis has tendrils and may survive zone 4.
    Did you give us the location ( state)?

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi carol23,It is possible the vine doesn't have red fruit, but I am going to stick with red until I prove myself wrong. The lady told me the berries are red and I am pretty sure I remember seeing red berries on it last summer. Ampelopsis is a definite possibility as it does have a phase of having red fruit and has tendrils. I am in Wyoming at 7000 feet altitude. She also told me if the cuttings fail I can dig some roots so either way I'll find out eventually. I do like the idea of virginia creeper with red berries though. Thanks

• carol23_gw
    15 years ago

Would the person giving you cuttings recognize leaf shapes? Perhaps you recall. Were there lobed leaves,
    Simple, compound, etc?
    Ampelopsis brevipedunculata has various leaf shapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ampelopsis

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi carol23, I'll print the pictures you linked to and ask her this weekend. Thanks

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi carol23, I showed her the pictures and she said no on Ampelopsis. The leaves look like poison ivy but heavily serrated and longer and wider. That made me think of virginia creeper, she said no, it isn't virginia creeper. She said it doesn't have flowers and the red berries are small but there were none on the vine today. She said I can take pictures of the leaves this summer. thanks

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

I hope I am wrong but it appears to be a cutting of some type of grape. Some have very small pea sized grapes.

• sarahbarah27
    15 years ago

Did anyone ever figure this one out? I am so curious!!!

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

The pictured twigs look identical to what I can see out of my window at the moment. And that is Parthenocissus henryana. Could your plant be a Parthenocissus - maybe P. inserta or quinquefolia? They have the right kind of leaves. No red berries. But my vine produces clusters of tiny reddish spherical flower buds which could be mistaken for very small berries. (It is not hot enough here for the flowers to actually produce fruit.)

• generator_00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello everyone, this last week 2 of the 3 cuttings have grown leaves and they appear to be virginia creeper leaves. I think it probably is virginia creeper.

flora_uk, It is possible the flower buds were mistaken for red berries, I was wondering that myself the other day when I saw a picture of some online.

So since I have nothing but time I'll wait and see what happens this summer with the red berries or red buds or red foilage or whatever I find and I'll keep you posted and thanks for your patience and help everyone.

• hortster
    15 years ago

Wow, generator 00, you have truly created a super-thread! True horticulturists are hungry to solve, hungry to see the unusual, starving for the new. I hope this turns out to be a new one. Even if not, it has been a great deal of fun, and I personally thank you for it. We are all waiting for pictures...
    Hortster

• User
    13 years ago

Hi Generator 00, Did you ever find out the ID of your mystery climber? Your description fits exactly a plant in my sis-in-law's garden and I can't find a name for it anywhere. I've included photos of it in a Picasa web album (see link below) - is this what your plant looks like now?
    http://picasaweb.google.com/aislingju/MysteryClimber?feat=directlink

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Climber

• User
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    YES!! My vine has now been identified as Bryonia dioica (Red Bryony) which, although poisonous, is not as invasive or destructive as White Bryony (B. alba). See link below:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=p,com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&biw=1241&bih=528&tbs=isch:1&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g1&oq=&gs_rfai=&q=bryonia%20dioica

Generator 00, who started this thread back in 2009, discounted Bryony as s/he understood it to die back each year, which White Bryony does - however, Red Bryony is a perennial. This still might not be his/her mystery vine, but it really sounds like it!
    All the best!
    Gardenlibrarian

Here is a link that might be useful: Bryonia dioica

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County