Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help ID-ing this bloom

Posted by LizLovejoy3534Yundt none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 1:43

A friend of mine took this shot of a bloom in N. Calif., she wants to know what it is, and so do I. I was thinking it is a version of a bleeding heart, but looks kind of like wisteria, but not the leaves.
It's growing on Mendocino Community College campus in Ukiah.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help ID-ing this bloom

It's Pieris japonica. Common name: Pieris. It's not related to either wisteria nor bleeding heart.

It is a broad-leaves evergreen which forms its flowers in the fall. It carries the flowers through the winter and blooms in early spring. On most varieties the new foliage is brightly colored.

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 2:09

o
RE: need help ID-ing this bloom

This is one of the pink flowering clones. It may be 'Valley Valentine'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here