Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone please help me identify this plant?

Posted by mavjo none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 7:25

This plant has been outside in the same pot at my parents house for years, it's always been in the shade but I have now brought it to my apartment and it is indoors.
Could you please help identify this plant?
I he noticed the leaves are dying.
How often and how much water is recommended for feeding ?
And what about exposure to direct/indirect sunlight?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone please help me identify this plant?

Dracaena fragrans Cv.

o

That's what I think too. The brown leaf can't turn green again, plant would look better if you take that off, but glad you left it on for the pic to show what's going on.

Looks like it has a toxic buildup of something in the soil, likely fluoride, to which this plant is very sensitive. Over time, some tap water can alter the PH of the soil also. Has it ever been repotted? The next time it's dry, I would flush the soil with a gallon of distilled (not bottled drinking water) or rain water if possible. Pour about 1/4 of the gallon on it, wait 15 minutes, pour another quart. Wait 15 minutes, then very slowly pour the last half gallon, all over the surface of the soil, not just in one spot. Then let it dry well before watering again.

It likes very bright shade, but not much if any direct sun outside. In the house, some direct sun that's not during the middle of the day should be fine.

Come on by the house plant forum if you have further questions or need instructions on repotting, best done during summer.

o

Thanks so much.

I will do as you have recommended!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here