Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone help

Posted by Garden_novice1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 8:15

I am new to gardening and have this growing in my garden. I would appreciate it if anyone can tell what it is and anything about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone help

It's ivy. Evergreen with greenish flowers followed by the berries. It can cause damage to trees and buildings as it is a vigorous grower and can become very heavy. It also anchors itself into mortar so be wary of it near walls. It does however provide year round interest and shelter for birds.

o

NB to US readers. Note that the OP and the responder are in the UK .... so no need for tirades about the diabolical invasive nature of 'English' ivy ;-) Here it is native and part of the ecosystem. The fact the berries are still there shows what a mild winter we have had. Wood Pigeons,especially, love them. And the flowers are a valuable food source for insects late in the year.

o

Hedera helix, proper name not yet mentioned here. Good catch, Flora!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 12:49

Location was not posted here. I fairly often have to look at My Page in order to see where people are because they do not say in their posts.

Sometimes they don't say on My Page either.

Being obtuse tends to limit outcomes.

o

I checked their 'My Pages' to verify location because of the use of 'garden' for yard and the simple name 'ivy' without the 'English' epithet. Plus the responder noted that ivy is useful ecologically speaking and commented on the mild Winter. All that pointed me to compatriots. I don't think anyone was being obtuse. But it's true location in the body of the post is very useful to know.

o

LOL!! A "yard" to me is the enclosed outdoor area of a prison complex - anything where one grows plants is a garden. And the winter has been pretty darn mild here (as usual) as well, so these may not be the best qualifiers for a UK sourcing :-)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 21:58

Yet very many people here do call them yards, with a garden being where vegetables are grown.

o

So PNW and the UK have even more in common than weather.

I find that I can usually tell if it's another Brit 'speaking' by the vocabulary, syntax and tone of voice. For example, the words 'vine', 'an' herb, shovel and till are give away for a US poster. Canadian and Australian posts lie somewhere between. I find it fascinating guessing and then checking the My Page.

But as you say gardengal48, there are regional variations in the US which can fool one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here