Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Ideas?

Posted by Foreverlad 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 10:11

Picked up six of these at my local Ace Hardware yesterday for 89 cents each, no label. Asked someone in the garden center what it was, and he told me it's a coleus (or in the coleus family). I have my doubts, as I've never seen anything like it.

You can get a much closer view by clicking on the photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Ideas?

Maybe Iresine.

o

Definitely not a Coleus. Hard to say what family it's in s a bloom.
My guess, though is either Acanthaceae or Amaranthaceae.

o

Looks like a Celosia to me.

o

Doesn't look like iresene, I think it's a Celosia.

o

Sorry, thought I'd posted this earlier.
After some additional research with guidance from the suggestions in this and the Florida Gardening forum, It's definitely a Celosia. Celosia Argentea, aka Plume Cockscomb, Smart Look Red Cockscomb.

Thanks so much for the assistance. Never would have figured this one out for myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smart Look Red Cockscomb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here