Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where can I find pictures of babies?

Posted by worthgold1 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 11:25

I am looking for a place where I can find pictures of what plants look like when they are first emerging. I am trying to make a little book for my school gardens so people will stop weeding out the babies. Does anyone have a great website or book? We are here in Minnesota and we only plant natives in these gardens if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where can I find pictures of babies?

The seed site has some photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: The seed site

o

find the latin names of the plants you are interested in ....

using such, followed by something like 'seedlings' ....

and then flip over to the IMAGES side ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i used the common name here ...

o

Ken's got the right idea. Start with the Latin or common name of each plant and do a google image search. Carol's website looks helpful, too. Try there first to test it out.

o

Two big thumbs up for the suggestion to search with the Latin binomial. The quality of the info you find via those searches is so much better.

Also, be sure to label well here seed has been planted. Take pictures yourself of the items you know. And include pix of items that are clearly undesirable weeds. When things get really weedy or overgrown, sometimes clearing out the obvious "junk" is the best approach to make the desirables more noticeable - all of a sudden that row you planted becomes visible.

I also included a link to the Virginia Tech "weed" site that may include a few of the plants that you are looking for. Seedling pix included throughout this site.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: VT - weeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here