Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Identifying a weed...(plant?)

Posted by kalawaddell none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 12:30

i need help identifying a plant ... sorry if this is an ignorant post. I am an absolute beginner, extremely interested in gardening!

I have a close-up picture of the leaf as well I will try to post in an additional message, it will only let me upload one photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Identifying a weed...(plant?)

Here is the close up of the leaf. Thanks all!

o

Here is the close up of the leaf. Thanks all!

o

well .. for sure.. its a weed.. i know it fondly ... lol

see link.. dock or rumex is my guess

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Yep, I think you nailed it. Thanks!

o

Yellow dock, Rumex crispus. Nothing yellow is visible about this plant unless you cut open the root. Then you know how it has this common name. Be sure to do that if you are digging them out. I've harvested many roots for herbal use and I love the beautiful yellow of the roots.

FataMorgana

o

i use roundup ...

just one thing for sure.. do NOT let it go to seed... or you will have a couple hundred more the following season ...

prolific reseeder ...

ken

o

There are different lines of gardening thought - I'd suggest skipping the roundup and just dig it up. The roots are never more than 8 - 10" long and easy to pop out of out moist spring soil with a garden spade. Dock does reseed but not by the hundreds to be sure - I know since I have purposely left dock plants to reseed for future harvests.

FataMorgana

o

hey fata ...

back in the day.. in suburbia... on a 50 by 100 foot lot.. i too dug things out ...

today on 5 acres.. i am a one man crew ...

i have no other option ...

and i do note.. you actually use it for a purpose... it has no purpose in my yard ... and anything that has no purpose.. is commonly called.. a weed ...

i am agreeing with you when you said: There are different lines of gardening thought

not arguing, nor being defensive ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here