Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the heck is this plant?

Posted by Katieflowers none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 13:03

I live in Zone 5 Pocono Mnts. Of Pa. The area I live in once belonged to a farmer. We found out this year that we have rows and rows of high bush Blueberries. You can tell that he planted them there years a go. But we have this other bush that looks to be in a line (As in planted that way.) someone told me it could be a Goji Berry bush. Can someone please tell me what this is? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the heck is this plant?

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 14:09

Could you post a close-up pic of the fruit, leaves and stems? -That would help us nail it down for you.

o

Need a closer view to tell for sure, but it looks very like Berberis, possibly Berberis wilsoniae. Does it have thorns?

o

I'd go with Berberis as well.

o

here is another shot of it, I hope it helps. I can't thank you all enough for the help. It was planted in rows. Like the Blueberries were. Makes me think that they are edible's. she also loses her leaves in the winter, but not her Berries.

o

Still not really close enough - it could be Berberis but the drooping berries are looking a little more Goji-like. Can you get a closer view of the leaves and berries?

o

Hahahahaha Yeah I can get one of the berries, but not so much with the leaves, sorry, I normally take these shots in the winter because they are so beautiful with ice and snow on them. :)

o

I hope this helps a little more on what the Berries look like. I will try to crop the summer ones a little better and see what I can do to make them clear enough. I really do appreciate all the help you all have given me thus far. Thank you again.

o

I know it's still not perfect, but I am trying. :) I hope this is a bit better for you. Thank you again,.

o

It's Berberis for sure. I'll stick with my original Berberis wilsoniae ID, though that species will often hybridize quite freely.

o

Berberis.

o

Are the berries Poisonous? And thank you btw. ;)

o

No - some of them are used for jellies. Google 'Barberry Jelly'.

o

my default for berries... is that if the birds dont eat them over winter... they are probably smarter than me.. so i dont eat them ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here