Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SW Kansas grass

Posted by texasflip Nacogdoches, TX z8 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 13:17

A friend sent me this picture of a grass seedhead from southwestern Kansas. It most likely came from a shortgrass/mixed grass prairie remnant. Any ideas?

photo imagejpeg_0_zps8841e314.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SW Kansas grass

Wow. As worn out as that head is, this is a guess. Maybe western wheatgrass, Agropyron smithii? Compare.

hortster

o

I know....thanks for the lead though.

The best I've come up with is Urochloa texana, but that seems to be uncommon in Kansas.

Turns out the picture was taken in the Red Hills if that helps at all.

o

That sure does look close. The USDA plants database shows it as present in KS, but location info on specific counties isn't available. You well may have nailed it.

hortster

o

Texasflip, Urochloa texana is the only Urochloa species reported in Kansas to date, and that is listed only for Hamilton county (see BONAP map at link below). It seems to me that the leaves on your plant are too long for the Signal Grass species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urochloa texana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here