Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janan16

Beautiful purple flowering bush

janan16
16 years ago

OK I need some help. In my pictures it looks blue but the flowers are purple. Looks a lot like the flowers on a Glory Bower (Clerodendrum 'Ugandense Blue') without the antennae.

{{gwi:152852}}

{{gwi:152853}}

Also does anyone know the official name of this Vinca Major (AKA periwinkle). It has variegated shades of green leaves and new growth has red stems. All the ones I have found have green centers with white edges.

{{gwi:152854}}

Thanks! ~Jeanann

Comments (13)

• erict
    16 years ago

Your first plant is definitely a leguminous bush. I want to say Goodia or Bossiaea, or Glycine (soy bean)

(Looks further)

The closest I could find is "Glycine tabacina". Your purple makes it hard! :)

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

Is Sophora secundiflora a possibility???

Can't help you with the vinca except that I think it is a Vinca minor, rather than major, of which there are numerous cultivars.

• User
    16 years ago

Your Vinca could be Vinca minor 'Illumination'

Cheers,
    Dee.

• User
    16 years ago

Boy, I wish you could edit posts here. Just an addition;

If you are sure it is Vinca major, it could be Vinca major 'maculata'

V. major has larger leaves and flowers than V. minor.
    The leaves on V. major have a slight hairiness.

Cheers,
    Dee.

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

Sophora secundiflora correct (though it's been moved by ICBN)
    and is commonly call Texas Mountain Laurel.
    Weird because it's not a Laurel and grows all over Texas and
    the Southwest not just in the mountains.

HTH
    Chris

• janan16
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all! I spent two days on the internet trying to find that bush! I was pulling my hair out.

I thought it was Vinca Major because of the size. All the Vinca Minor looks so small and delicate. The leaves are not hairy though. How large are the blossoms and leaves on the Major?

• User
    16 years ago

The leaves on Vinca major are about 2 inches long.

Cheers,
    Dee.

• janan16
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dee, the largest leaves are up to 2 1/2 inches tapering smaller towards the end and the blossoms are 2 inches, but no hair. All the leaves are slick. Do you still think this is Vinca Minor? My sister wants some of this plant and I just wanted to be able to tell her for sure. I appreciate all your help!!! ;-)

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Perhaps you Vinca is the one on the link.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinca major 'Maculata'

• janan16
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Remy, That is it EXACTLY! SO it IS a Vinca Major like I thought. Whew! It makes me feel like I am not crazy after all! Thanks a bunch! ~Jeanann

• User
    16 years ago

I did suggest that one if you look at my second post. Maybe you didn't notice it because I had two posts in a row.

Cheers,
    Dee.

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

Janan - thanks for posting this as I have discovered a new shrub I had never seen or heard of before. I found the name by Googing 'purple leguminous shrub'and checking any names I did not know, I seem to remember. Normally I try not to offer ids for anything I do not have personal experience of but no one was responding to this so I had a go. As for the Vinca question, I have been introduced to some new cultivars which I had not known about. I went for the Vinca minor id because of the more pointed and delicate look to the leaves and their closeness on the stems. It was just a feeling for the giz of the plant. Now I see that Vinca major has moved on in the plant breeding world.

• janan16
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Flora UK! When I Googled it I typed in Purple Flowering Bush, so you can imagine why I didn't find it. Dee, I did overlook the Vinca info in your second post in my hurry to read the comments (sorry). But you both nailed it! The bush has the large red seeds on the ground underneath the bushes and a few babies coming up. There are 4 of the bushes here on this property which we have leased and I wanted to take a couple of the baby bushes that are coming up underneath the big ones when we leave in August. I have known the name Texas Mountain Laurel, but for some reason that didn't come to mind when I was searching. I knew all you have the knowledge, and would help me which you did, and I appreciate it so much. I have been looking around town and have actually seen one in tree form that is probably 25 feet tall. They are very slow growing so that one must be really old. (I've learned a lot about them now that I have the correct ID) There are other things planted here that I will take cuttings or babies of but I like knowing what it is.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County