Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this a zucchini plant?

Posted by espritbonne California (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 14:02

We've just moved into a house that has lots of plants in the yard, but we're just beginner gardeners. We can identify the orange tree and lemon tree by their fruit. :) But this one has us stumped. We thought it might be a zucchini plant, but it seems the leaves for zucchini (on the Google images we've found) are more rounded and not as deep green. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this a zucchini plant?

Acanthus mollis

o

Oh, wow. :( That sure seems to be it. Thanks, Saltcedar. I'm just sad because I have a terrific zucchini bread recipe, and I wanted to be able to make tons of zucchini bread. :)

Thanks again for your help.

o

if you cant buy a pack of zukkie seeds in march.. and have 10 million zukie by august.. you arent trying too hard ...

i dont understand.. why you can only have it.. if it appears magically in your garden ...

lol

ken

o

What?!? I can just buy the seeds? And then by August have millions of zucchini? Awesome. I was afraid I'd have to plant and water them, etc. :-D Thanks, Ken. I've had only marginal success with gardening over the years, so I'm not too optimistic about my chances for success. But yeah, from what I've heard, zucchini stands a much better chance with black thumb gardeners like me than many other plants do. Fingers crossed.

o

Hi fellow gardeners,
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but zucchini really uses a lot of your garden resources. I had so many one year I couldn't give em away fast enough. I find zucchini to be completely tasteless and bland. I know that's just my opinion but I do not find it a vegetable worth growing regardless of how easy it is to do so. Do yourself a favor and buy a small zuke from the grocery store, one that is not in a can with other ingredients and you will see what I mean.

o

Yes, but who eats zucchini without any other ingredients, even if only olive oil? That's hardly a fair test - an awful lot of vegetables would fail it. Boiled zucchini - no thanks. Ratatouille, yes please.

And bush varieties don't take up that much space. If you grow a small number of plants and choose a good cultivar they are well worth it. 6 x Jemmer do us fine.

o

Zucchini is very prolific! You will have lots of squash to play with, and plenty for zucchini bread. My favorite way is to slice in half lengthwise, top with grated parmesan and sprinkled with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Pop under the broiler, and yummmm!!

o

Thanks all, for the input. Dirt_Farmer, our family really loves squash of all kinds, prepared in a variety of ways. I buy about 8 zucchinis a week I guess, so I'm hoping I won't have to buy any once my Prolific Plant starts cranking them out. And still have a lot left for my amazing bread recipe. Floral_uk and desertdance, thanks for reminding me of recipes I haven't tried in a while! Mmmmm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here