Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathy1312

Anybody know what this is?

cathy1312
10 years ago

Does anyone know what this is? It's growing at the top of my garden along with all the weeds, just seemed to appear on its own in the last few weeks!
Thanks

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i call it myrtle .. and periwinkle ... and vinca minor ...

but i dont know the latin.. lol ...

see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Ken, you accidentally ran into the Latin name: Vinca minor are the genus and species names of this plant.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Just so you are aware, some gardeners consider that purple-flowering thing to be a weed, too. ;-) It is one of those pretty, tough-as-nails plants that spreads quickly. In some states, there are serious problems with it overrunning native plants in wild areas.

• cathy1312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'm in South Yorkshire, UK, wasn't sure if it was just a weed or an actual plant.. I'm not much of a gardener but it looks pretty so I might dig it out of the brambles and move it somewhere else if I can :)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

cathy1312 - Vinca minor is not a problem in the UK. It's considered by some to be a native plant in some areas but has been in cultivation here so long its origins are obscured in the mists of time. It will have been there all winter but I expect you've just noticed it now because the flowers have opened. Also comes in white, pink, and various other combos with green, variegated and bronze leaves.

One I would not want in my garden is Vinca major which is much more smothery.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

where is my second reply ... crikey ...

as it moves along the soil ... it roots freely ... potential at every node/leaf ...

which means two things :

first .... if you pull out a 5 foot piece.. and there are roots every 6 inches ... you could make 10 plants .. and with just a little water this summer... they will thrive ...

second ... that means you dont have to crawl under the bush to get momma ... if you find some rooted pieces further out ... [unless she is pissing you off under there .... then go get her ... and there is no reason to be gentle ... jsut a hand trowel.. and yank it out ....]

third??? ... if you scar any piece.. still attached to momma... near a leaf on the underside.. and put a rock on top ... you will have a rooted piece by fall ...

it is not aggressive in my z5 MI garden.. though over the decades.. it will cover a largish area ...

and it is so hardy.. you can walk on it.. but for potentially tripping on it ...

i will probably find my other reply.. in some unrelated post... lol.. and they will wonder if i was sober... lol

good luck

ken

ps: since mine is under two feet of snow.. when i googled it.. i saw some other latin name.. i always used vinca .. whatever .... but i lost interest at that point.. lol

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Cathy,

The botanical name is Vinca minor and it is used as a ground cover. It will smother out any other weeds and, and, in my neck of the woods is evergreen. It is a useful plant as it will grow quite happily in the shade.

Linda

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I have it on a large slope, where it co-mingles with other ground covers. I don't find it invasive, and I'd love to see more of it. It pops up here and there between the freeway daisies. I love the color!

Other things seem to smother it, not the other way around.