Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojomojo_gw

anyone recognize this vine?

jojomojo
10 years ago

I'm in NW NM, 5600', zone 6b, soil tends to be alkaline clay. This vine grows on the West side of the house, so shade all morning and blazing hot sun in the afternoon. I'd really like to figure out how to propagate this.

Comments (8)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Perhaps trumpet vine Campsis radicans?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Vines are really easy to propagate. Just bend a limb into the dirt, anchor it, and you will have a new plant quickly. You can just sever it from the mother plant once it has roots and is growing. OR you can air layer it.

Suzi

• jojomojo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nhbabs - Its foliage does look similar to my trumpet vines, but this vine doesn't flower. Or, if it does, they are so small its not noticeable. This is one reason why I love this vine so much - doesn't draw in the wasps by the front door.

desertdance - Thanks! I took a cutting last summer and that didn't work out. I'm not sure I can get a limb to the ground, so I'll try air layering.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Looks like Wisteria to me. If it's a seedling they can take up to 50 years to flower.

• thedecoguy
    10 years ago

Wisteria as Salt said, grown from seed they can take years to flower.

• jojomojo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, that's what it appears to be (looked at close up pictures of the vines & leaves). And all I can say is Nooooooo! Wisteria is absolutely gorgeous, but it seems to be an engraved invitation to have wasps at my front door. And from what I've read, the roots can be aggressive? This is planted right next to the patio, a few feet from the foundation (crawlspace, not slab).

I'm so sad. I thought this was the perfect non-flowering plant to shade the West facing windows. Anything this potentially troublesome better darn well feed us too lol I'll have to find something to replace it.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

It's beautiful and doesn't appear to be a problem now. Some wisteria never bloom, so leave it be until it does; see if wasps are a problem THEN replace it if you need to. I don't find the roots invasive, it's the upper vines and suckers from the main trunk that you have to keep under control. I just prune mine early spring (take out the wild new growth) and then again after blooming, I remove as much as I need to for it to stay a reasonable size. Mine will then bloom again in late summer.

You can also control the blossoming (should it ever start) simply by pruning it before it blooms and take off the blossoms.

• jojomojo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

olychick - That's exactly what I was thinking after posting that. I should just prune off the blossoms (if they ever appear). Pruning it back a lot might help keep the roots in check too.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH