Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it?

Posted by DavidNale Scotland (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 14:25

Just bought this house a few months ago and was surprised to discover this suddenly sprouting up.
Looks like a cross between rhubarb and asparagus with a little triffid tossed in.
What is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it?

Epilobium?

o

Best (and only) answer so far, but a quick look at pictures of Epilobium don't look right.
The main stalk is fleshy...

This post was edited by DavidNale on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 15:06

o

How about Lythrum then?

o

there is a Paeonia tenuifolia (which I haven`t grown myself), but I am afraid, the leaves are somewhat too coarse on your plant.

You have us all puzzled and bewildered, it is a weird plant one would easily remember or recognize.

I think the stems are to fleshy/ thick for Lythrum.

If nothing helpful comes up, you could post pics in 3 weeks of the foliage, that could be easier to ID.

Well, good luck, bye, Lin

o

The majority opinion, taking responses from here and elsewhere, seems to be some sort of peony.
A suggestion concerning asking the Head Gardener of Hogwarts is a classic... Any of you have his number? Or, for that matter, that of the Propmaster 0f Little Shop of Horrors.
Stay tuned... It continues to grow and a person on GardenWeb thinks identification will be easier once the foliage appears and/or the thing blooms.
(I could ask the previous owner, but that sort-of takes the fun out of it.)

o

Peony (new growth) ?

Last picture, first row.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony, new growth

o

Spring shoots of Euphorbia spp..
Here's an example (not necessarily this species); see second photo down in this link:
http://dangergarden.blogspot.ca/2012/03/spring-if-only-for-few-days.html

o

My money would be on Euphorbia, possibly E griffithii 'Fireglow', a widely grown one.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 8:49

o

The E griffithii would explain the growth pattern of the stems or distribution in the border, as they spread by short rhizomes.

For Paronias the shoots are somehow not clumped enough.

o

I'm with Flora I think she nailed it :).

o

I agree with Euphorbia griffithii 'Fireglow'. Now that I have a name to search, I am finding pictures that strongly resemble what I have growing.
This was my first posting on this forum and I am impressed with how well it has worked.
Many thanks to you all for your suggestions.
I will add pictures to this thread as the plant grows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here