Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewds

Unknown house plant is not doing well, help!

AndrewDS
10 years ago

This unknown plant once stood proud and tall in the fall sun. Recently I upgraded the pot and it really reacted well and grew a little bit. A couple weeks later, I woke up and it was completely droopy and shedding leaves. I gave it a soak maybe thinking it wasn't getting enough water and even added a little soil to it because I thought maybe it was supported. Does anyone know what kind of plant this is and what I can do to save it?

Thanks!
Andrew

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it lost turgidity ... water pressure in the cells ...

take a string.. and string it all upright.. until the roots can pump enough water for them to remain upright ..

just a loose ring of string about half way up the plant... maybe two ... just letting them use each other.. for moral support ...

ken

ps: you said: A couple weeks later, I woke up

• AndrewDS
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks ken! i'll go buy some soft string

do you have any idea what this plant might be called?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

It looks like a Peperomia caperata, though it's a bit difficult to tell from the image. It could also be a Pilea cadierei. A good close up of one leaf and I could tell you for certain, though you can look them up and compare. Check on the Pilea first ; I'm leaning to that one. Also called Aluminum Plant.

One thing that they both have in common is an inclination for root rot when over watered, over potted, or potted into a dense slow-to-drain medium. The primary symptom of root rot is.......wilting.

• AndrewDS
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think its the peperomia... the leaves are small, like a centimetre long. I actually looked at the roots but didn't know what they are supposed to look like. They were brown and clumped up surrounded by dirt, I couldn't really see them. They didn't strike me as super healthy though. Do you think they are rotten? and if so can i save them?

Is this a good way to do it?

http://voices.yahoo.com/5-steps-save-plant-root-rot-11394608.html?cat=32

• AndrewDS
    Original Author
    10 years ago

second pic

• AndrewDS
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took the plant out of the pot, washed the bottom of the stems with warm water and picked most of the rotted roots off. I replanted it with charcoal in the bottom and throughout the soil. Should I have cut the bottoms off a bit do you think or have I done enough?