Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown house plant is not doing well, help!

Posted by AndrewDS none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 14:32

This unknown plant once stood proud and tall in the fall sun. Recently I upgraded the pot and it really reacted well and grew a little bit. A couple weeks later, I woke up and it was completely droopy and shedding leaves. I gave it a soak maybe thinking it wasn't getting enough water and even added a little soil to it because I thought maybe it was supported. Does anyone know what kind of plant this is and what I can do to save it?

Thanks!
Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown house plant is not doing well, help!

it lost turgidity ... water pressure in the cells ...

take a string.. and string it all upright.. until the roots can pump enough water for them to remain upright ..

just a loose ring of string about half way up the plant... maybe two ... just letting them use each other.. for moral support ...

ken

ps: you said: A couple weeks later, I woke up <<=== man thats a long nap ... i am envious ... lol ...

o

thanks ken! i'll go buy some soft string

do you have any idea what this plant might be called?

o

It looks like a Peperomia caperata, though it's a bit difficult to tell from the image. It could also be a Pilea cadierei. A good close up of one leaf and I could tell you for certain, though you can look them up and compare. Check on the Pilea first ; I'm leaning to that one. Also called Aluminum Plant.

One thing that they both have in common is an inclination for root rot when over watered, over potted, or potted into a dense slow-to-drain medium. The primary symptom of root rot is.......wilting.

o

I think its the peperomia... the leaves are small, like a centimetre long. I actually looked at the roots but didn't know what they are supposed to look like. They were brown and clumped up surrounded by dirt, I couldn't really see them. They didn't strike me as super healthy though. Do you think they are rotten? and if so can i save them?

Is this a good way to do it?

http://voices.yahoo.com/5-steps-save-plant-root-rot-11394608.html?cat=32

o

second pic

o

I took the plant out of the pot, washed the bottom of the stems with warm water and picked most of the rotted roots off. I replanted it with charcoal in the bottom and throughout the soil. Should I have cut the bottoms off a bit do you think or have I done enough?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here