Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification

Posted by lmm1220 WNC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 14:32

This plant has been growing in our backyard since before we moved in. It's a tall bush/small tree with multiple trunks and peeling light brown bark. The honeybees seem to love it come early spring and it's flowers are very fragrant, almost reminds me of the smell of Fruit Loops. They also seem to resemble honeysuckles in shape but are much much smaller. Any help would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification

A photo of the trunks

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 14:47

looks like a witch hazel of some sort? (Hamamelis)

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 14:58

I think it may be Lonicera fragrantissima, winter honeysuckle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lonicera fragrantissima

o

Yes, it's Lonicera fragrantissima.

o

thanks so much!
I thought that they might have been part of the honeysuckle family but thought they only grew on vines. You learn something new everyday!

o

I have never worked out the difference between L fragrantissima and L x purpusii 'Winter Beauty'. Can anyone enlighten me? From the OP's picture couldn't it be either?

o

I have not seen L. purpusii here. The following is a description from a website :
Lonicera × purpusii 'Winter Beauty' is a rounded deciduous or sometimes semi-evergreen shrub with colourful red-purple young shoots and dark green leaves.

Lonicera fragrantissima is widely planted here. It has bluish leaves and no colorful young shoots as far as I can recall.
Dirr's book states it has " dull dark bluish green leaves in summer"/

o

Thanks, Carol23. I can't recall seeing the two different twig colours but L purpusii is widely planted so I'll just have to take a closer look next time I see a winter flowering honeysuckle. My own is L fragrantissima, I believe, but I'm not even sure of that ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here