Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a tomato??

Posted by Toffle London, UK (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 14:37

I got some mystery heirloom tomato seeds saved by an old neighbor who since passed away. The seeds are at least 5 years old, maybe more, but I've been assured that at least some will germinate. Within a few days of planting I got this seedling in a believable place for where I planted (indoors in pots, with 6 per pot or so, in a heated propagator). The seed compost got mixed up with some from outdoors maybe and I have a worm bin so sometimes get random volunteers... it just doesn't look like any tomato I've grown before, and none of the other 12-15 I planted have germinated yet. It's about an inch tall and starting to make another leaf.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a tomato??

I don't think it's a tomato. It looks like celery to me.

o

Sorry about the picture quality but here it is as of this morning... making another shoot, I meant to say earlier. It just doesn't seem to be making any "normal" seed leaves. And celery is one of the few things I think it can't be, I don't have any seeds and don't think I've composed any in a long time if at all. Looks almost carrot-like now but I didn't have the carrot seeds out either...

o

As you say it doesn't look like a seedling at all. I'm guessing that there were carrot tops in the worm bin or outdoor compost and that's what's growing here. The compost looks a bit wet btw.

o

its not a tomato ...

but just give those old seeds some time ... dont give up ..

as to this seedling.. let it get a few more leaves.. and then crush one.. it will either smell like a tomato or not... or celery.. which was my guess also ...

i gave up on wooden name tags.. as they tended to rot.. and added the potential for attracting molds, mildews and fungus to my seedlings .. as they rotted ...

plastic knives ,.. lightly sanded.. and carbon pencil... are forever ... as one solution ...

ken

o

Actually, update, just checked when I got home and normal-looking seedlings are coming up. So the old seeds are still good (I'm a little surprised) and also the mystery thing is still growing. Still accepting bets about what it is, I'll keep it going and see.

The marker was just a scrap thing in a hurry...

o

Another possibility is fennel. Did you throw some trimmings on the compost heap last year? Your nose should tell you if it is carrot, celery or fennel. All have distinctive smells. I don't think it's celery - the leaves seem too finely cut to me
Personally I'd get it out of there because its roots will compete for space with your tomato seedlings and it is unlikely to make a usable vegetable.

o

Oh, fennel is an interesting guess, that could be possible although I don't remember having any around recently. It doesn't smell yet, whatever it is. If you think it will fight with the tomatoes I'll pull it up; they're looking pretty happy now.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here