Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will lemon trees grow from store bought lemons bloom?

Posted by ladyrenee30 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 15:04

I have two lemon trees that I grew from seeds I removed from lemons bought at the grocery store. I do not know what king of lemon trees they are and do not know if they will bloom or not. The first lemon is about two years old and the other is about four years old. I know it will take a while for them to bloom, but I want to know if they will bloom coming from store bought lemons. Any input would be very helpful. (Note: Both are in pots if this helps find out if they will bloom)
-Haley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will lemon trees grow from store bought lemons bloom?

Citrus tends to bloom after 8 years outdoors.

o

Thank you. Will they bloom if they are in the pots?

o

Citrus with ripe fruits are sold all the time in fairly small (3-gallon or less) pots, but they are regularly fertilized and never allowed to get cold overnight. I suppose those sold up here are mainly intended as house plants.

The from-seed should not be an issue as long as the plant is otherwise happy.

A calamondin would bloom at a younger age and be more forgiving of conditions, but the fruit does not appeal to everyone.

o

Given enough light they can bloom indoors, however Summers outdoors would be more beneficial for fruiting.

o

Thanks guys! I have them outside all year round and they are brought into the garage if it is going to freeze. I am not sure what kinds of lemons they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here