Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is This an Oak?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 15:21

This is a small volunteer tree growing between some rocks on our property.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is a bigger one growing out of another rock, and there is a huge tree down by a seasonal stream on our property. I can't get down for a close up of the old tree because I fear snakes, and just saw the first of the season today.

Do you know what kind of tree this is? If it is an oak, do you know what kind? I live in Riverside County, CA.

Thank you!
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is This an Oak?

Might be Prunus ilicifolia

Here is a link that might be useful: Prunus ilicifolia

o

I hope you are right! It does have holly like leaves! No blossoms that I can see, and this little guy will probably not bloom for many years.

If we could forge a path down to the big tree, it might be fun to try the fruit! We have a small vineyard, so fermenting comes easy to us!

Edit. I got close enough to the big old tree to see several big blossom clusters, and on my way back up the hill I found another tree about 6' tall with blossom clusters forming. It's leaves are much smaller than the one depicted above, but they have the same holly like look.

Suzi

This post was edited by desertdance on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 18:10

o

Either Prunus ilicifolia or Rhamnus ilicifolia. Rhamnus has more translucent leaves than Prunus, and different pattern of veins. Can't tell which from your picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here