Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzieroux

Could this be Papyrus?

Bev Cashen
10 years ago

Planted some via division from my friends Papyrus plant and I allowed it to dry too long, and it may have died. I planted them anyway in November 2013, and this week I see this lil plant coming up.

As you can see the ones I planted are still dead looking.

I am excited that it could be Papyrus!

Appreciate any advice/info/education/thoughts!

Thx!

Comments (21)

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is how it looked on Monday!

• lycopus
    10 years ago

Could be, although umbrella sedge is quite similar. Papyrus often has narrower leaves but not always.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont understand why you think this isnt the one you planted.. putting up new shoots ...

why would you presume the root mass is dead.. because old stalks are dead????

ken

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ken,
    I thought that it may be dead because they looked dry and dead, and it took all these months to show any signs of life.

This was my first time planting this plant so I am not experienced with it.

I am excited that something is finally growing, and learning as I go along!

Thanks for your response :)

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sooooooo EXCITED!!!! :)

This plant is growing so fast! I have waited a long time! :)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I grow papyrus and have for many years,somehow that doesn't look like it to me.I'll go out in the morning and check mine and let you know what I find.To me that looks like a weed I' m constantly pulling out all around the yard.

It's midnight here now..
    Kathi

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

It isn't Cyperus papyrus but it is certainly a Cyperus.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

As promised here's a picture of mine and as I said last night that green thing you're showing looks like a weed we have around here,and I'm forever pulling it out.

My papyrus starts out looking just like stalks that I'm showing,only a smaller version of it.

{{gwi:155099}}

Those brown things may be the old stalks that have been cut back,but I don't think that green is.To be sure,i'd dig one out,put it in a pot and watch it and see what happens,because if it's the same weed I have,you don't want to let it get out of control.

Then again,i'm far from an expert on plant,i just know what I grow.
    Kathi

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Kathi,
    I don't think it is a weed because it has taken so long to grow anything. I do have weeds all over my property which I am constantly pulling up, but this does not look like a weed. The stalk is hard, and there is now another one growing in as well. Nothing else has grown in around it since it was planted in early October.

After research, I am confidant that it is in the Papyrus/unbrella plant arena, I will just have to keep searching for the proper name of it. If it is a shoot from what I planted it grows over 4-5 feet tall. My friend has them in several places in her garden.

Floral_uk, thank you. I will check out the Cyperus!

I will post a photo in a couple of days to see the progress, and maybe it will be more identifiable.

Thanks everyone! :)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Compare with Cyperus alternifolius/ C involucratus. Commonly grown as a house plant and easy to propagate by standing a stem upside down in water.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks floral_uk,

I did the research and you are correct!

This is Cyperus Alternifolius.

It has many common names.
    Thanks again :) You nailed it!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can see little spike things growing in this morning as in the first photo, and here is how it has grown in this photo. It really seems to grow fast!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

OK,now it's starting to look like a papyrus.Sorry for the wrong answer,then again,that's how we learn,isn't it??
    Kathi

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

kathi_mdgd - we've established that you were right in so far as it isn't Papyrus ie Cyperus papyrus (the one the Ancient Egyptians used) It is a very close relation, Cyperus alternifolius aka C involucratus. It needs a lot of water as it is basically a bog plant.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, you are right that is how We learn and I have learned so much from this site. You were right halfway LOL!, and again I think you for your input. :)
    Happy weekend everyone!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Growing fast. It is now almost a foot tall. Grew that much in just 2 or so weeks

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I am going to backtrack and change my mind. The slim threads in the centre of this plant are not consistent with C alternifolius. It is beginning to look much more like a C papyrus cultivar. Usually they don't have the grass like flat blades around the outside but it seems that C papyrus 'King Tut' does. Scroll down ....

Here is a link that might be useful: C papyrus 'King Tut'

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

floral_uk,

Thank you for the link. It is very educational!

Also, what is the plant that is in the back of your Papyrus? It looks like Cordyline? Does it stay green?

Your plants are very beautiful! I truly appreciate your input & Photo.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The link is not to my content. It's just a source I found which describes different Cyperus. I think the plant you are referring to is some kind of banana, maybe a Musa or Ensete but I know nothing about them. I do know it's not a Cordyline.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still growing strong. :)

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another is coming in so I guees this is the cluster.