Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invasive, or unwanted vine?

Posted by bdeal Missouri (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 16:00

We just moved into a house with 20 acres and while pulling up a bunch of Japanese Honeysuckle that has been killing trees, I noticed this possible vine growing. It is 2 clumps of about 12 stems total. The longest is about 3 feet already. All of the thorns feel stiff on the back of my fingernail.
Before i spray some Round Up on it, I wanted to try and make sure that we don't want this It is on the edge of the yard and I don't want it to be an issue like the Japanese Honeysuckle is.
Thanks in advance for any advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invasive, or unwanted vine?

Might be Smilax tamnoides. Will be easier to tell when the leave emerge.

o

Smilax tamnoides looks right to me too. That species typically has those two types of bristles seen in your photo. Here's a closeup of an S. tamnoides stem from our area.

photo Smilaxtamnoides2.jpg

o

Thank you, I believe that is exactly what it is.

o

Thank you, that is definitely what it is as it does have the 2 types of bristles. I'm just thankful that it hadn't taken over the hillside like the Japanese Honeysuckle has.

o

That vine is a native in Missouri. I hope you don't kill it. I had the same reaction when I discovered one in my yard until I learned what it was. Mine is growing in an out of the way place so I've let it be.

o

I wish this group would have been in a different area than close to the pool, on the edge of the yard. I'll bet there will be more on our 20 acres

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here