Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysa_gw

ID this vine?

sunnysa
10 years ago

This vine climbs up the wall on it's own but dies back during the Winter. We have it in a pot, but would like to plant it in the ground. We're hoping that it's not invasive. Does anyone know what it is?

Comments (12)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Appears to be a Hoya.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Bignonia ?

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I've searched both options and I guess it looks more like the Hoya plant than the Bignonia. The only thing is, it does not have flowers or any buds at all. We've had it about five years now. It does grow in a kind of 'rope' pattern. It's grown quite tall and we have it in a really small pot. Are Hoyas invasive? Thanks.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Hoya won't be invasive in Zone 8 in Texas. Most likely it will die in a colder than average Winter at some point.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Saltcedar, thanks so much for the advice. I will take extra care of it during colder weather. It really is a beautiful vine and blooms would definitely be a plus! Again, thanks for the responses.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Definitely a Hoya, probably H pubicalyx of some kind. Looks, nice & healthy, you might try some fertilizer in Spring, w/ balanced numbers, like 20-20-20.

They can take a few years to start blooming, but many of us who grow & love Hoyas, love the pretty patterned leaves too. Enjoy.

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with the above posters and it's definitely a hoya. They are really a tropical climber - endemic to SE asian countries and the warmer areas of Australia. Being a little more of an epiphyte than the usual vine, they usually produce a number of rootlets along the length of the "ropes" which aid in support and also aid in absorbtion of nutrients when they are anchored to something like a tree.
    So "planting" isn't necessary, and in fact they seem to like to be slightly root-bound, but if they look too crowded go for a larger pot. A well-drained mix like an orchid mix is fine, too.
    The usual cause of non-flowering would be insufficient light, though they will certainly survive in very low-light situations. With yours it may be the winter though I have them growing outdoors all year round in hanging baskets in a sub-tropical area of Australia (coolish but nights seldom below 2c though in winter). I'd agree about giving it some potash-heavier fertilizer to see if that boosts flowering. Also once they do so, they always produce flowers from those original points so don't prune those off unless you intend to strike more.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Pirate Girl and Alisonoz for the advice on fertilizing and repotting it. It certainly helps to be steered in the right direction. It has been very healthy and I'll also be going online to try and find some other varieties of the Hoya plants. I appreciate all the input. I can't wait to see if it blooms!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Do you know there's a Hoya Forum (see top of page or Other forums)?

I'm a regular there & likely you'll be able to read up on further care instructions (if you like) & also other varieties of Hoya you might enjoy, as well as possible suggestions for Vendors.

Hoya Forum is a full service Forum where we just LOVE to enable & spread folks' appreciation & interest in our beloved Hoyas ( (I tease, but it's true).

(Pirate_Girl)

a/k/a Karen

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Pirate Girl, I can't tell you how thrilled I was to learn about Hoyas. And, the best part is that I have one in my own back yard! Wow... they are my new favorite plant. I've already repotted our plant, and I've gone and ordered another one from Almost Eden. I've been on searching websites all afternoon and came across a nursery in Florida that has some Hoyas on special right now. I did not know about the Hoya Forum until this afternoon but I will definitely see you there. I would be interested in knowing what Hoyas are easiest to grow. Thanks for all your help.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Hoya carnosa is really easy. And they can be propagated very simply too.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Floral, I've got one on order.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions