Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help the Hillbilly identify this plant

Posted by nwhillbilly none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 16:35

I think its sick so any help with ID'ing this guy would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help the Hillbilly identify this plant

Fatsia?

o

Yes, Fatsia japonica. Possibly just chilly. You don't give your zone.

o

If nw-hillbilly as is Pacific Northwest, there has been enough cold this winter to burn fatsia leaves. Looks a little windbeaten as well.

o

I'm curious as to why its stem is exposed. It should have a nice "skirt" of lower leaves (and be well mulched over its root zone to boot).

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:33

One of those plants that is prevalent as an older specimen in urban areas near Puget Sound but not hardy enough to last farther out - I can't even get it to live up on top of Camano Island, with salt water all around but still apparently significantly colder than down in the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area.

o

.... It should have a nice "skirt" of lower leaves ....

Only if that is the look the owner wants. And to achieve it a specimen this old would have to be kept cut back. Its natural state is to grow to small, often multi-stemmed, tree and to lose its lower leaves.

o

"One of those plants that is prevalent as an older specimen in urban areas near Puget Sound but not hardy enough to last farther out "

Strange because they are somewhat common in collector's gardens around Washington, DC, which even in a 'normal' year is much colder than the greater PNW. I'm pretty sure some of them are coming back after this year, which was the coldest in 20 years. Maybe an Asian plant that hardens better with hot summers.

o

Hello - Thank you for all of the responses. I'm zone 8, specifically Kirkland, WA. It wasn't particularly cold this winter, we did have record rainfall though. It still looks a bit downtrodden, but new growth is coming in so it appears to be on the rebound.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 13:35

Actually, it was particularly cold this winter and I had damage to, or outright lost things that are fine most years. There was a week of below normal cold temps in December, and a second that broke records last set in 1949 in February.

o

Fatsia, like many broadleaf evergreens, does not like morning winter sun in colder climes.

o

Ideally, it is best sited in shade. Too bright a situation combined with our unique late winter weather has done some damage. Cut back hard and perhaps consider relocating in a shadier spot. In a woodsy or less exposed setting, this plant would have experienced minimal winter damage. I know of several large specimens in the foothills/Issaquah area.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 16:54

It always depends on the total combination of circumstances, including soil conditions that each planting experiences.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here