Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID on bulb that won't bloom

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 16:37

I've had this plant for 3 years and it has yet to bloom. I've attached a picture of it. It is a bulb, I saved it from a yard that was being covered up with a porch.

well, "it" is actually 4 or 5 bulbs but they are all producing the same plant, they won't bloom. attached is a picture of it.

I'm in zone 7a, alabama

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID on bulb that won't bloom

is the picture showing up?

o

Do you think it could be a daffodil?

o

lycoris?

o

but why won't it blooooom?

o

Looks like a Peruvian scilla or portugues squill (same thing)

Is it getting full sun? Some flowers like Iris wont bloom without enough direct sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: peruvian scilla leaves

o

The Peruvian Scilla takes part shade-- I just read that it prefers poor soil-- too rich soil or feeding it and it spends all it's time making offsets (bulblets) and not blooming.

You might lift it and see if it has gotten crowded and needs separating.

If it is Lycoris- or naked ladies/ spider lilies-- they apparently are off again on again bloomers.

o

it should not be planted that close to the foundation.. perhaps the cement is leaching into the soil.. doing what.. altering pH????

also.. the first suggestion when something favors ALL GREEN over flower production ... is lack of enough sun ... and next.. too much nitro fert ...

not to mention.. transplanting bulbs can set them back a lot...

if they dont bloom this spring.. move them to more sun.. in fall ...

ken

o

It gets at least 7 hours of direct sunlight, but I don't know anything about our soil

o

Reminds me of my Lycoris squamigera. You won't see blooms until the summer after the leaves are gone. Mine are planted close to the house also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Naked Ladies

o

Does kind of look like lycoris leaves. Here in zone 6b my leaves started coming up 2-3 weeks ago. And of then died down and then bloomed the last week of July. Really surprised us as we didn't live here this time last year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here