Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this Beautiful Yellow Plant?/

Posted by KPinOregon Not Sure (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 16:50

I found this photo on a website, and I really want to plant one in my yard. But the website didn't tell me what the plant was! Help?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this Beautiful Yellow Plant?/

Lysimachia puntata, commonly known as yellow loosestrife, though it's not actually in the loosestrife family.

o

Not sure where you are, but I put this in a small bed last year, and it was really nice - - - I'm very much hoping it comes back up here just a little north of Boston!
Lynn

o

L. punctata.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 23:10

KPin, if on the W side of the state, you might find this a little aggressive in your garden. The variegated forms with the same yellow flower better behaved.

o

KP is inOregon. It is not the same as purple loosestrife, but may still spread by seed and rhizomes, especially west of the Cascade Mountains.

o

Around here it is native, and you can have something else in a boder or L punctata, a horrible, bullying spreader

o

Re Linaria's comment:

I've also been very wary of Lysimachia punctata, but occasionally used it.

I planted it in a perennial garden (full sun, upgraded clay soil)) (installed in 2000) and have maintained that garden to date.

I did get worried about it spreading, so put it in a pot in the soil, but found that it would not stay in. On the other hand, I've subsequently simply reduced it (pulling up/spading out runners), yearly after flowering, and had no problem maintaining it more or less in the same location.

As per Morz: a variegated form ('Alexander') was present in another garden (semi-shade, upgraded clay soil) I maintained over about five years. It spread very minimally. I don't know how much of that was related to a contrast between variegated and non-variegated forms of the same plant (viz. more versus less vigorous) and how much was to do with it's semi-shade location.

I wouldn't use any L. punctata in our own mixed perennial beds, because too many plants are maintained too close together.

o

Has never spread for me. Naturally acid, sandy soil, and mostly shade. 20 years in the same spot.
But that must be hardly characteristic of the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here