Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PLease help ID'ing these Trees

Posted by Dlangel none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 17:18

They are in Pompano Bch,FL in a Parking lot, they have an interesting smooth bark that looks whitish at a distance with a texture similar to our gumbo limbo tree, the leaves are about 4'' Lanceolate, will post a leaf as well

This post was edited by Dlangel on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 17:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Leaf

I did not see anything other than leaves on the tree at this time

o
RE: PLease help ID'ing these Trees

Whitish bark at a distance

o

Looks a bit like a Satinleaf (Chrysophyllum oliviforme). Can you get a shot of the back of the leaf?

o

Hey thanks Leafhead for giving it a shot but definitely not Satin Leafs, don't have the leaf anymore, but the underleaf is light green and the trunk is really smooth and peels if you scrape it with your fingernail

o

Bark reminded me of eucalyptus, but leaves were wrong (compound right, shape wrong). Just learned they change shape with age and the ones on young e. grandis are actually close to your example; I believe this is one of several varieties grown in FL, so you may look into those for a match.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaves of young eucalyptus grandis

o

It's really hard to see if the leaves are pinnate or not. I they are it has the look of Fraxinus about it but I have no idea how likely that would be in Florida.

o

For my 10 cents worth, the leaves are wrong for Eucalyptus, which are stiff and leathery, with oil glands. the pic looks much too 'soft'

o

...the leaves are wrong for Eucalyptus, which are stiff and leathery, with oil glands. the pic looks much too 'soft'

Yeah, not sure of 'softness' or vein color from photo, know next to nothing about Eucalyptus, and haven't been around one for years. Though Googled enough to find it was likely eucalyptus torelliana (now corymbia torelliana) I was reminded of.

Here is a link that might be useful: eucalyptus torelliana factsheet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here