o
RE: Can anyone please ID this plant?

Commelina communis?

Here is a link that might be useful: Commelina communis

This post was edited by saltcedar on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 17:48

o

Looks like it Saltcedar!
I remember that my grandmother used it for some dish but do not recall for what?

Really appreciate your expertise.Thank you so much. I still wonder if this is a keeper?

o

I'm open to using weeds as food or medicine. I'm not aware that this is useful that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dayflower

o

Thank you Saltceder.

o

Plants for a Future is one of my favorite sites for seeing if there is an edible or medicinal nature to a plant.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: PFAF Database - Day Flower

o

I posted in your other thread in the annuals forum, where I live this plant is called a dayflower and it can and will take over your flower beds. My horses love to eat them so I pull up bucket fuls of this plant and feed it to them all during the summer.

o

I think it's a lovely plant. You get to decide if it stays in your yard or not. If it has culinary or medicinal uses, or pleases your eye, it seems like a sad bill of goods to be told it's a weed. A former neighbor used to pull up plants I'd grown from seed, saying she'd helped me do some weeding while I was at work. Just because they sell them at the store didn't make them NOT weeds to her. After she was gone, an Azalea hedge sprung up in her yard. I'd always wondered what the shrubbery she was constantly mangling was. Guess she thought those were weeds too... but definitely proof that one tiny really old lady can pull/control anything she doesn't want growing!

But in all seriousness, if all Commelina species are not edible, know there are many that look extremely similar.

o

Asiatic Dayflower

Here is a link that might be useful: The Little Beauty that Caused So Much Confliction

o

PFAF says hardy to zone 7 - but it not only thrives here, a little north of Boston, it tries very hard to take over pretty much everything once it gets a foothold. It's doing a pretty good job of strangling my lilies. Every year it comes back bigger and badder. :(

o

Commelina caroliensis
Commelina diffusa
Commelina erecta
Commelina forskaolii
There are others, native to US and other areas.

I don't think it's possible to define the species from this one blurry pic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here