Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub ID

Posted by j0nd03 7b AR (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 17:52

I came across this shrub last fall in a local park. Just curious as to ID. I meant to collect some seed but got sidetracked and could not locate it out of leaf later in fall.

Pics taken 9-19-2012

Location is western Arkansas, zone 7b in the river valley area. I think I remember tasting the fruit and it was not quite ripe yet.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thanks,

John

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 17:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub ID

Viburnum rufidulum?

o

Looks like it to me.

o

Are you guys freaking kidding me? Do you have any idea how hard I've tried to get v. rufidulum over the last two years? Last year when I wanted it, it was out of stock everywhere online. This winter I paid $40 for two plants I purchased as v. rufidulum that turned out to be v. prunifolium (webmaster had it marked wrong on the website and corrected it after I called them of course after I planted them) all while I had free access to the one I wanted all along? I literally stumbled over it! hahaha

lol thanks guys

I will stop by just in case any seeds are left but will make sure to collect some this fall. Either of you fine people are welcome to some extra seed if you are interested.

Esh - my malus angustifolia leafed out and will not flower this year but I am keeping my eye out for some seed for you when it finally happens :)

John

o

The shrub is Viburnum rufidulum. I Googled it...:) Here is another image...almost the same!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shrub Ideas For Lawn

o

I have done that too, John!

Look at those rusty buds in the second picture ....

o

I had a hunch it was viburnum by the leaf arrangement and fruit but the leaves themselves look more rounded than I am accustomed to seeing with viburnums. To my eyes, they favor callery pear (I knew it was not, though). Another lesson that leaf shape isn't everything and actually can be quite deceptive sometimes, especially to those of us with poor ID skills :)

Yep, the buds are dark and rusty alright!

John

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 9:43

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here